Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Man this is cool! I just picked up a pacer. It’s the 125hp hasn’t flown since 2013. Think I’m gonna get it airworthy and fly it this year , then tune it into a bush monster

thanks for sharing you’re build

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. I loved this airplane before you did this. It has to be one of the nicest Pacers around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daedaluscan View Post
    Sweet. I loved this airplane before you did this. It has to be one of the nicest Pacers around.
    Thanks for the comment. I think of it as unique or different.

I finished making all new engine cowling this winter after deciding not to extend the engine mount and keep the firewall forward original. The STC does not call for any change to the firewall forward but, I have read discussion about lengthening the engine mount and moving the engine forward. After my flight testing I found this totally unnecessary. The Bushmaster stalls and lands very similar to the original Pacer only slower. It needs as much up elevator as possible, moving the CG forward would exacerbate this situation.
    Last edited by Stephen; 02-28-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

If you are considering converting your PA-22-150 to a Bushmaster. This is a big job and one of the biggest challanges is the lengthing the fuselage and getting good alignment. It can be done, I did it. But, one way to do this is have an expert lengthen the fuselage. Mike at Yakima Aero http://www.yakimaaerosport.com/aircraft/bushmaster/ has a Bushmaster fuselage jig and has built a number of Bushmasters. He will work with a customer and do a professional job welding and you will have a perfectly straight fuselage. Mike is highly experienced in Piper fabric aircraft and is a great guy to work with.
    Last edited by Stephen; 03-05-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently received an old film, now on DVD showing the early testing (probably in the 60's) done by the Bushmaster designers Milo DeAngelis and Jim Simpson to meet FAA STC ceritfication.

It was very impressive, in the positive 'g' position (up side down) the wing held 4912 lbs. which was 19% over the design requirement at 3.8 g's. In the negative position (loading the top of the wing) the wing held 2456 lbs. 32% over the 1.6 'g' design load. Piper wings are very strong in the first place. Maybe, I will try an outside loop....or, not.
    Last edited by Stephen; 03-05-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you use for approval for installing control sticks?

Thanks!
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robaero View Post
    What did you use for approval for installing control sticks?

Thanks!
    Rob
    That project was done on a "One Time STC" about 12 years ago. I based the project on the PA 16, with a few significant changes. I think I was lucky to get a young FAA ACO engineer who happened to enjoy my little project after spending most of time on large Boeing projects. You can do a search on this site, I have pictures and more information about this STC. I have heard of only a few other people doing this modification and nothing recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is the thread on the stick installation.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...cks-in-a-Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Steven. I have a cut out lower fuselage section with crossbeam, seat rails and stick controls from a Pa-16. I have talked with the guy in upstate NY about the "blanket" 337 he has. I had hoped to be able to put these stick controls in a PA-22/20 project I have.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robaero View Post
    Thanks for the info Steven. I have a cut out lower fuselage section with crossbeam, seat rails and stick controls from a Pa-16. I have talked with the guy in upstate NY about the "blanket" 337 he has. I had hoped to be able to put these stick controls in a PA-22/20 project I have.

Rob
    I'm not sure what a "blanket" 337 is but, keep us informed about how this works out for you. There are people who would love to do this modification.