Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

I started on a STC for doing the stick mod but ran into the preverbal brick wall with the Seattle FAA... They wanted engineering for control systems modification... wound up being way too much for me to handle at the time...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft[bri] View Post
    I started on a STC for doing the stick mod but ran into the preverbal brick wall with the Seattle FAA... They wanted engineering for control systems modification... wound up being way too much for me to handle at the time...

Brian

And, how many STC's would get sold? I doubt it would be economically viable. But, it is a cool mod.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    And, how many STC's would get sold? I doubt it would be economically viable. But, it is a cool mod.
    That was another consideration when I was working on it... I doubt I would get enough sales to offset the costs in getting it certified... Been down the road a couple times now, makes you think real hard about what mods are worth it...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft[bri] View Post
    That was another consideration when I was working on it... I doubt I would get enough sales to offset the costs in getting it certified... Been down the road a couple times now, makes you think real hard about what mods are worth it...

Brian

I feel for you Brian, passion and profit in aviation are almost mutually exclusive. However, we faithful have been touting your gascolators every chance we get, just had it come up in a thread on one of the Shortwing Facebook pages, AGAIN. IMHO one of the best mods I've made to my 22/20 which, like my shoulder harnesses, I hope I never have to test its strength!

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I feel for you Brian, passion and profit in aviation are almost mutually exclusive. However, we faithful have been touting your gascolators every chance we get, just had it come up in a thread on one of the Shortwing Facebook pages, AGAIN. IMHO one of the best mods I've made to my 22/20 which, like my shoulder harnesses, I hope I never have to test its strength!

Jim
    I second this! I had an original bailer style gascolater come apart in air. We had gas all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Modification

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Anybody know what Bushmaster charges to make these same wing, fuse, engine mount, convert to tail dragger, etc, modifications to a stock Tri-Pacer. If I'm thinking about it, it's probably best to buy a '56 or later fuselage or complete TP with run-out engine from somewhere and send to them. That way I keep flying my Tri-Pacer. What would it cost? I'll bet it's in the neighborhood of $75K to $100K.
    A bushmaster uses a super cub wing, some guys are also adding leading edge slats , then you add about 12 inches to the fuselage just aft of the back seat I think , then you put a 180 0360 lyc or i have heard of a 0540 Lyc . You put the tail feathers from a super cub on and the landing gear from or similar to a super cub and you have a bushmaster. since your now officially experimental you can do anything else you please. It’s not so bad to do cost wise if you have the ability to do fabric and weld in some tubing work it’s not so bad other wise the cover the metal work is the major cost. Before you go cutting a pacer apart put a 0360 on and a good prop and you will be surprised what that pacer will do and once you get the pacer off the ground it will go by a cub or a bushmaster like they are towing a tree. I Put a 0360 in my pacer and it is nothing but impressive with what it hauls and the speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I also thought it would be way cool to have a stick in a pacer but got over after awhile. There is a PA 14 that has s stick and you sit side by side but they are a pain in the ass to get in and out so that was my reason to blow off the thought of doing that

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Modification

The Bushmaster wing is the same size as a Super Wing but, it is different internally. The Bushmaster has longer flaps, more ribs, reinforced spars, more drag wires, relocated wing strut attachment and other reinforcing. It is significantly stronger than a stock Super Cub wing.

The Bushmaster STC allows for an 0-360. The fuselage extension is 22 1/2" with either the 0-320 or 0-360.
    Last edited by Stephen; 09-08-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Could I put just the bushmaster wings on my pacer without doing the fuselage stretch and keeping it with the 0-320-160 hp?
    Or would the Dakota cub slotted wings be a better option without stretching the fuselage?

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Last edited by Justin Christensen; 10-02-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Christensen View Post
    Could I put just the bushmaster wings on my pacer without doing the fuselage stretch and keeping it with the 0-320-160 hp?
    Or would the Dakota cub slotted wings be a better option without stretching the fuselage?

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    NO! Don't do it!

You will end up with an unstable airplane without lengthening the fuselage when you add 6 feet to your span. Adding a couple of feet is fine. Lengthening the fuselage was not the hardest part of the Bushmaster STC. I don't believe there is an STC for slotted wing. Besides lengthened and slotted do different things. More wings mean more lift, slots allow a higher angle of attack.