Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

My winter projest is to mangle my perfectly good Pacer, by installing the Bushmaster STC.

This STC modifies the wings to a super heavy duty Super Cub wing. This wing will have four feet of spar reinforcing at the lift strut attachment, more reinforcing at the new jury strut, 13 ribls, double drag wires and compression struts in the new outter bay.

My first step was to make all the wing reinforcing pieces out of .050 aluminum.

Second was converting the Pacer aileron to 102 inch Super Cub ailerons by adding 30 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Modification

Next step was removing the Pacer wing and removing fabric.

Next, buck hundreds of number 5 rivets installing the spar reinforcing at the new lift strut location. SC attachment brackets are used in the forward spar and the front Pacer attachment in moved to the rear spar.

Drag wires get moved and new compression struts are added.

Your can see how the drag wires are doubled for added strength in the outter bay.

This wing will be much stronger than a typical Super Cub wing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Next step was removing the Pacer wing and removing fabric.

Next, buck hundreds of number 5 rivets installing the spar reinforcing at the new lift strut location. SC attachment brackets are used in the forward spar and the front Pacer attachment in moved to the rear spar.

Drag wires get moved and new compression struts are added.

Your can see how the drag wires are doubled for added strength in the outter bay.

This wing will be much stronger than a typical Super Cub wing.
    What part number fitting did you use for the strut attach fitting to the front spar? I can't find any details in the drawings. Reading your thread, you say that you use a PA-18 fitting. When looking at the parts catalogs, I see the PA-18 fitting for the front spar (#14192) has five through holes in the spar area and in your picture of building it appears to me that there are 4 through holes in the spar area. In the drawing there is also 4 through holes in the spar web.
    Where did you locate the angle extrusion called out for that is 1"x3/8"x4'?

Post Thanks / Like

SP march 010.jpgSP march 001.jpgSP march 009.jpg

Here are a few more pictures showing both forward and aft (middle picture) spar, all I could find on the brackets. I did use standard PA18 attachment fitting for the front spar and as I remember I had to cut them down because they were too long.. I spent a lot of time getting the attachment brackets located. But, there is some flexibility. The struts will be built to the actual distance.

SP march 002.jpg

Are you referring to the strengthing angle extrusion. The drawing called out the locations as I remember. I skipped the inboard pieces as I did not use the Bushmaster fuel tank set up. These reinforcing strips should be located so they don't interfere and allow the ribs to clear. I had to make my own strips, cutting down larger angle material on a table saw and cleaning it up on a belt sander.

I have lots more pictures that I may not have posted. Let me know if you want more detail on specific aspects of the project.

(QUOTE=Just Call Me Al;113979]What part number fitting did you use for the strut attach fitting to the front spar? I can't find any details in the drawings. Reading your thread, you say that you use a PA-18 fitting. When looking at the parts catalogs, I see the PA-18 fitting for the front spar (#14192) has five through holes in the spar area and in your picture of building it appears to me that there are 4 through holes in the spar area. In the drawing there is also 4 through holes in the spar web.
    Where did you locate the angle extrusion called out for that is 1"x3/8"x4'?[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-08-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more pictures showing both forward and aft (middle picture) spar, all I could find on the brackets. I did use standard PA18 attachment fitting for the front spar and as I remember I had to cut them down because they were too long.. I spent a lot of time getting the attachment brackets located. But, there is some flexibility. The struts will be built to the actual distance.

Are you referring to the strengthing angle extrusion. The drawing called out the locations as I remember. I skipped the inboard pieces as I did not use the Bushmaster fuel tank set up. These reinforcing strips should be located so they don't interfere and allow the ribs to clear. I had to make my own strips, cutting down larger angle material on a table saw and cleaning it up on a belt sander.

I have lots more pictures that I may not have posted. Let me know if you want more detail on specific aspects of the project.
    The pictures are excellent information in addition to your reply, thank you so much. The drawings are difficult at times to interpret. The more I study them, the more I glean from them.
    On the angle extrusions, I came to the same conclusion and ripped down 1"x1" angle to the necessary dimensions.

What did you do to fill in where the spar strut attach fittings were on the original PA-22 location at roughly Station 79 11/16"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me Al View Post
    The pictures are excellent information in addition to your reply, thank you so much. The drawings are difficult at times to interpret. The more I study them, the more I glean from them.
    On the angle extrusions, I came to the same conclusion and ripped down 1"x1" angle to the necessary dimensions.

What did you do to fill in where the spar strut attach fittings were on the original PA-22 location at roughly Station 79 11/16"?
    Are you referring to the 1/2" bolt holes? Those holes in the spar web are too small to have any load bearing issues. Make sure the holes are smooth and have no cracks.

I know what you mean about studying the plans. It sure would have helped if there were a set of written instructions. Although, it does leave a certain amount of flexibility.
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-09-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

SP march 010.jpgSP march 001.jpgSP march 009.jpg

For the front spar strut fitting, used Piper PN#14192. In the Sper Pacer drawings, it calls for a gap of 1.02-1.10". But with the 14192 fittings, they have an extra spacer (in the Piper drawing, PN#10541) welded inside the mating surface to strengthen the strut attach hole, which narrows up the gap by roughly 0.15". Did you space out the strut attach fittings further to account for this or make the end of the strut narrower?

Attachment 18551http://www.supercubproject.com/drawi...s/A3290625.pdf
    Another question, in setting the washout in the wing before installing leading edge skins, did you put in the twist that a PA-18 wing has at the PA-18 station ( the OB rib of the aileron bay)?

Thanks,
    Al

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful workmanship. Any estimate of the weight gain? My guess is your stick conversion probably reduced more weight than you will gain.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

I hope that the weight gain will be under 100 lbs. I have a few ideas where I can cut weight....Weight and cruise speed are the two factors that I am curious about.

Left wing flaps are on today's project list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome, thanks for the update.