Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Transport thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aircraft Transport thread.

I'll be finishing up the major parts then dragging the plane back from the West coast to the East coast in a couple months. I would like some ideas, inputs, pictures, etc. Not only to help me but to help others too for when they find that gem project.

I have a 13'X 7 flat bed trailer, it's almost too small, but I managed to be able to get the fueselage(bare) on and the two wings bare in a wing holder on one side. I wasn't too critical with the wings as I was going to replace some ribs and all the leading edges anyways. Let's see if I can post a pic.image.jpg

So, up to now I have the fuselage 90% done, on gear, through paint, and I'll have the wings primed and painted soon after Christmas.image.jpg

I have some thoughts on how to put the complete fuselage on the the same trailer, I'll weld up an extension on the rear part of the trailer for the main wheels, then make a post on the front of the trailer hitch to bolt the tailwheel Spring to, tailwheel off.

Question on on the wings, I'll have enough space on either side of the fuselage to stand a wing on its side, I'm thinking of welding up a mount at the front to bolt up at the wing butt, then weld up another for the strut bracket. So basically the wings will be nose down and trailing edge up bottom outward along both sides of the trailer. Is this a good idea?

I thought about laying the wings flat on the trailer under the fuselage, there's enough room, but I can't think of any ways to lay the other wing on top without damage from bumps and a 2600 mile trip.

If anyone's got some ideas, pictures, or experience To add to this post that would be great! To help others too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Aircraft Transport thread.

I have hauled fuselages on their gear, tail on a cross brace that runs from one side of the trailer to the other to elevate the tail up enough to stack the wings flat on foam underneath and strapped down with foam under the straps. I have also carried a fuselage on stobs that bolt to the fusleage landing gear fittings with the wings on stands that bolt to the wing attach and strut attach fittings and then bolt to the trailer. I have hauled a lot of airplanes dating back to the mid 1990s when I bought my first Clipper. I have learned to check the load after traveling a short distance to check for load shift. Just be careful and think about what the wind and weight are doing. I will post some pictures when I get some time.

Post Thanks / Like

While I am sure cost is an issue, Homer posted some pics about how he put his tripacer into a rented covered truck body
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My father-in-law and I hauling my Pacer.
    100_3964.jpg

100_3966.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! How did the wings fare during the trip? How many miles? If I stacked my wings like you did would you do anything different? Great pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine, my Father-In-Law and Cathy with here Tri-Pacer.
    Attachment 11344

Our kids washing it prior to unloading it from the trailer.
    Attachment 11345
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 12-17-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have hauled them this way from Idaho, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Colorado and New Mexico. We did bend the trailing edge on a 90 hp Super Cub (no flaps) when the strap wasn't checked and the wing slid outboard and caught the strap. I keep saying I am going to build a stand to attach to the root attach fittings and a stackable fitting to attach to the strut attach fittings so nothing touches paint but I am usually transporting a wrecked bent wing and it doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These stands work great if fuselage is not on its gear and your trailer is wide enough to bolt them down next to the fuselage. They attach to the wing attach and strut attach fittings.
    20161217_145257.jpg

20161217_145322.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    My father-in-law and I hauling my Pacer.
    100_3964.jpg

100_3966.jpg

I hauled mine this way from Washington to Alberta- no damage except for the starter hole which i forgot to cover and snow and rain got in and siezed the starter. I also removed the rudder, elevators and horizontal stabs

The look on the border agent face was priceless when i told them ( jokingly) that I had nothing to declare

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! That's what I was thinking of doing with that wing stand, but with one wing on each side of the fuselage with the fuselage pointed backward. The winds and loading you talked about have me concerned so rethinking now. Especially crosswinds through Colorado and west Texas.
    Last edited by AKJurnee; 12-17-2016 at 05:03 PM.