Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tri-Pacer Soft Field Take-off / Landing Performance.

piperrocks2013

Default Re: Tri-Pacer Soft Field Take-off / Landing Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Tp109, True, it would be best to do it by the book for a check ride. What I have suggested is an advance technique. If you are unsure of the condition of your throttle lock, keep you hand on the throttle. Plus, you will need some hours in your airplane before attempting it. Keeping ones hands on the throttle may not "always" be the best practice. You may not be aware, that the hand of the pilot is moved from the throttle to the yoke at V1 (still on the ground) in jets.

Here is something little different, went flying yesterday but couldn't go till the winds calmed down as it was cross wise on the lake and we had severe wind shear at 2000'. The problem is the snow drifts are 2 feet high with cliff like edges with solid ice . Enough to rip a gear off
    I found a little area of the lake that is right beside my house where I park along the shoreline that is barely acceptable, buts its the best I have and hope for more snow.
    Anyhow used a soft field / short field technique using full flaps after 35 - 40 IAS to get airborne and slowly retracted the flaps as speed increases. Very warm at +4 C ( 40 F) Snow was sticky but my new ski bottoms handled well. UHMW is awesome made my skeg's from them also. Don't need to lift my plane off the snow with boards like I use to and don't deal with frozen skis like I use to

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Tp109 I pulled 2600 from memory of my very brief glance at the tach way over to the right. I do know it was short of the redline. You're probably right that it was 2450 or so - and I wasn't completely static. I was rolling slightly under complaining brakes. Thanks Clayton, I will try your maneuver some day, but for now I need to practice to convince an FAA check ride guy I'm the master of my plane. I actually feel pretty good about that. I think everything you said was the right thing to do, but my interpretation of the POH is as follows: release brakes at full throttle, no flaps. At rotate speed (55 to 60? - my needle moves around quite a bit and I'm moving through those numbers quickly), remove right hand from throttle, quickly pull full flaps, shove yoke forward with both hands after you pop off the ground, put your right hand back on the throttle, level to accelerate and climb out to 50 - 100 feet AGL, then slowly let off flaps to zero, trim for normal climb. Please tune any of that up you don't concur with for an FAA check ride who's thinking about safety.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a good look at the tach because if youre getting more than 2450 you need to find out why. Could be your prop needs pitched more. If you have a stickler for your ride he or she may say end of ride before you leave the ground.

If I throttle locked at full power and pulled full flaps yes I would use both hands on the yoke if needed, if you can push on the yoke with one hand not fearing it will break is it metal or plastic? only reason id use two hands is two not break plastic yoke pushing on one side and get a gut full of broken yoke, but not like you say and shove, I would firmly push the yoke forward enough to keep it within 5 feet of the ground, a stick would be better wouldnt need to use two hands. As soon as the plane starts accelerating start gradually bringing flaps out staying in ground effect until you get to vx and a climb flap setting than start climbing. If you have an obstacle than adjust accordingly, but remain the master staying ahead of the plane. Practice makes perfect.
    Last edited by Tp109; 01-16-2017 at 11:23 PM.