Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "BOTH" fuel selector without interconnecting L and R tanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default "BOTH" fuel selector without interconnecting L and R tanks

Have a L, R, and two off positions with no both, stock selector. Noticed the Maule valve STC valve with 3 holes in the selector plug instead of just 2 holes, that has L and R tanks interconnected through the valve when in Both position or in Off position, not sure I like having the tanks connected while running in Both or in Off. Anyone done this that wished they'd kept the tanks separate? Thought about going with Dakota Cub valve but it is probably the same when in Both, tanks would have to be connected wouldnt they?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "BOTH" fuel selector without interconnecting L and R tanks

There are a few Cessna valves that do not cross feed in the off position and there is the AndAir valves.... Any of them would require a field approval....

Link to AndAir valve

http://www.andair.co.uk/product/fuel-selector-fs20x4/

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I think I will keep it simple and stay with factory stock and no both position selection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So what do you not like about tanks being connected? Only problem I see is if you are parked on a hill and one tank could drain into the other in which case I would turn the fuel off. I like the Both position since I like short hops with not a lot of fuel on board. I am not the best at remembering to switch tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    So what do you not like about tanks being connected? Only problem I see is if you are parked on a hill and one tank could drain into the other in which case I would turn the fuel off. I like the Both position since I like short hops with not a lot of fuel on board. I am not the best at remembering to switch tanks.
    Really only one thing that is bothering me, read a post by one of the Alaska bush pilots he had picked up some contaminated gas, guess it had happened to him before so he had a procedure of only fueling one tank when he could instead of both, he took off and switched to that just topped tank and engine wouldn't run, so he switched back to the good tank and made it back to the field. Odds are it won't happen, but that kind of thinking is when Murphy likes to show up. I've had an engine sputter and quit for a few seconds after fueling and I always drain several ounces out of all sumps after fueling, no water showed up in the samples, guess it was water in the gas, she quit momentarily but than started running again, scary stuff when you're 200 feet off the ground and not much landing area in front of you.

Now you have me thinking about the situation, say the bad gas was at the selector, just guessing here there's about 3 feet between the selector and gascolator and it's full than another foot of line to the full carb bowl, this is getting scarier, even if you switched to the good gas tank, you're going to need a minute at least to clear the contaminated gas out.
    Last edited by Tp109; 01-15-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it would be difficult for contaminated fuel to go from one tank to the other sitting on the ramp prior to takeoff. I think it would take a long time parked sideways.

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong so maybe others will jump in and add their two cents, say I pick up a tank of gas that's contaminated and running in BOTH, the gas is meeting inside the selector, water on one line and good gas on the other, water is heavy and will flow to the bottom before the gas, water pushing the gas out of the way and being the bully all the way to the carb. I take off and the engine starts acting up, all you can do is wait and hope. If I take off in known good tank and than switch to just topped off tank after climbing a bit and than the engine starts acting up it's a completely different ending to the story, flip the lever back to known good tank. In a R,L,BOTH and OFF you could also switch to good tank only and might be the same, I am happy to hear advice from anyone willing to offer it. I'm no Iinstein and like to hear from smart people.
    Last edited by Tp109; 01-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'd like to have a "both" selection, mine is the stock one with left, right, off.
    A reason to continue with the stock selector is if you carry avgas in one tank to do your takeoffs and landings with, and mogas in the other for cruise flight. As Steve said, if your parked on a sloped ramp the "both" selection of the selector valve may allow one fuel to be contaminated with the other fuel.....yes it's minor, but it could happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tp109 View Post
    I could be wrong so maybe others will jump in and add their two cents, say I pick up a tank of gas that's contaminated and running in BOTH, the gas is meeting inside the selector, water on one line and good gas on the other, water is heavy and will flow to the bottom before the gas, water pushing the gas out of the way and being the bully all the way to the carb. I take off and the engine starts acting up, all you can do is wait and hope. If I take off in known good tank and than switch to just topped off tank after climbing a bit and than the engine starts acting up it's a completely different ending to the story, flip the lever back to known good tank. In a R,L,BOTH and OFF you could also switch to good tank only and might be the same, I am happy to hear advice from anyone willing to offer it. I'm no Iinstein and like to hear from smart people.
    That happened to my Dad.

You can use the both position valve just like a left right off.

Post Thanks / Like

Another drawback to the Both/Off position, at least with Cessna: When attempting to top the tanks for a long cross country, if the selector is positioned to Off or Both, the first tank filled will begin to fill the empty tank, the tanks cross feed. It is very difficult to top the tanks unless "Left" or "Right" is selected.

The above can not happen with my stock Pacer fuel selector in any position.