Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "BOTH" fuel selector without interconnecting L and R tanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "BOTH" fuel selector without interconnecting L and R tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfever View Post
    My most often flown trip is So Cal to Phoenix. 8-10 hour drive, It is often a 3 hour trip. With my 160HP O-320, 9.6 to 10 GPH at 2500 RPM, I usually make it with VFR reserves, (6-8 gal) depending on the wind. I know because I have a fuel tank dip stick I trust, and my gages agree. If I thought my tank was topped off and "it was not" because I fitted my plane with a new STCd fuel selector with a Both/ Off as a choice, I could easily end up with less fuel than planed, unless I went back to the first tank filled, and re checked it was still topped off after filling the second tank.

I agree this is not an issue for short hops, unless you have a fuel computer. You could easily over estimate the fuel on board, filling tanks with the selector in Off or Both. Hope I am not beating a dead horse. The above situation is exactly what we face with my Fathers C-182

Steve M.
    Iam with you 100% for exactly the reason you quoted. Most of flights are long.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Brian
    I always questioned why the Cub Crafters system had the crossover vent and was directed to the reg. I am not a big fan of the crossover vent due to the issues noted. I need to stop in and say hi to Trimmer anyway. I will ask him if they gave him a hard time about it. I did look it up before I posted.
    CAR 3
    § 3.430 Fuel system arrangement. Fuel systems shall be so arranged as to permit any one fuel pump to draw fuel from only one tank at a time. Gravity feed systems shall not supply fuel to any one engine from more than one tank at a time unless the tank air spaces are interconnected in such a manner as to assure that all interconnected tanks will feed equally.

DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PACERGUY View Post
    Steve, Brian
    I always questioned why the Cub Crafters system had the crossover vent and was directed to the reg. I am not a big fan of the crossover vent due to the issues noted.

DENNY
    Denny, although a crossover vent can cause the "issues noted", I have been indicating fuel transfer from 1 tank to the opposite fuel tank in the Off or Both position via the newer style Maul type fuel valve.

I am interested to hear if there are other issues with a crossover VENT line.

Thanks, Steve M.
    Last edited by Jetfever; 01-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What valve is the Maule valve, are they still using this Piper / Anderson Brass valve http://www.skygeek.com/piper-492-009...el-select.html

Is this a Piper or Maule valve? I thought it was a Piper valve, maybe it's a Maule valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SMO22; 01-16-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

HI, Just a thought but if you are pulling fuel from both tanks and one tank is venting for, say a loose fuel cap, aren't you now venting from both tanks?
    DougG

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.. that's another thing I had pondered, or you spring a leak in one tank, and now gravity does its thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember that Trimmer STC calls for Positive pressure fuel caps for venting, I presume more of a vent than the original caps.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking from experience, the Dakota Cub valve also will cross-feed when in the OFF position.

Discovered this while testing connections after putting 5 gallons in each tank. Had a leak on one side, so started draining the 5 gallons from it. 5-gallon gas can I was draining into got full and the fuel didn't stop coming... eventually pulled all 10 gallons from both. Bit of a surprise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Speaking from experience, the Dakota Cub valve also will cross-feed when in the OFF position.

Discovered this while testing connections after putting 5 gallons in each tank. Had a leak on one side, so started draining the 5 gallons from it. 5-gallon gas can I was draining into got full and the fuel didn't stop coming... eventually pulled all 10 gallons from both. Bit of a surprise.
    That's what I mentioned above, if you spring a leak on one side and the tanks are connected in BOTH position, than gravity will leak all the gas out, unless you catch it on the gauge. Maybe a science major might jump in on this hopefully and confirm, but I am recalling the Air Transat that became a glider over the Atlantic Ocean after unknowingly pumping all its fuel out of a leak on one side https://youtu.be/jjb63MBv_fo

In a PA-22 the engine needs around 17 ounces of fuel a minute to run at cruise, I would like to know if the tank without a leak would flow downhill to the engine at >17 ounces a minute and still be able to flow uphill back through the fuel selector and plumbing to the leaking gas tank trying to maintain equal volume with it?
    Last edited by Tp109; 01-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no science major but I think in the case of Air Transat the computer saw a fuel imbalance and auto transferred fuel to light side, unfortunately that side had and engine venting fuel due to a broken fuel line.

Andya, My Pacer has positive pressure cap on right side, not sure how it got there? I was out for a ride one day with full tanks when suddenly the rear hose on fitting started to leak, guess it was the cold? I turned for home and less than 30 min the tank went dry and I never burnt a drop, those caps work good at moving fuel.
    DougG