Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pa 22 fire number 2

piperrocks2013

Default Pa 22 fire number 2

Another Pa22 burned up much like the one did in May of 2016. Makes me wonder what's going on here?? I feel there is fuel leak happening either from the valve or gascolator and old wiring for ignition. Could be totally wrong here. But I really feel it needs more investigation to figure out what's causing these fires.

http://www.milfordbeacon.com/news/20...-in-georgetown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pa 22 fire number 2

I noticed the cockpit was burning and apparently the engine compartment was not.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I noticed the cockpit was burning and apparently the engine compartment was not.
    That's a great observation. But also noticed some of the cowling was burnt evenly which makes me possibly think the fire started at the firewall. Whatever caused the fire apparently has the same sort of relation to the previous incident occluding both happening shortly after take off . It could very well just be a coincidence but I really don't believe in coincidences. Very well could be something flawed that we are all missing . I sure hope somebody gets to the bottom of this so we can learn from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    That's a great observation. But also noticed some of the cowling was burnt evenly which makes me possibly think the fire started at the firewall. Whatever caused the fire apparently has the same sort of relation to the previous incident occluding both happening shortly after take off . It could very well just be a coincidence but I really don't believe in coincidences. Very well could be something flawed that we are all missing . I sure hope somebody gets to the bottom of this so we can learn from it.
    Many years ago with my first ever Tripacer, I had an in-cockpit fuel leak caused by the cable from the Brake Johnson Bar chafing through the fuel line at a point on the floorboard / bulkhead adjacent to the left rudder pedal near where the cable turns from the bulkhead to go back to the master brake cylinder. It had chafed through the fuel line just enough to cause a small hole. That point was added to my Piper+ Homer annual checklist and over the years I have found one or two that were chafing, however not actually cutting into the fuel line the way of my first encounter with the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Homer Landreth; 01-30-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this would apply since it appears the fire was at the firewall or behind it, but my grandpa has told me about once when he had a tripacer back in the 50's and the exhaust stack cracked near the #3 cylinder and caused a fire, which he had to put out on takeoff with the extinguisher while flying with his knee. I never thought about how close he might have been to a total fire like these two incidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would start with the gas collator. The wire bail is a very weak point on our fuel system on the Short Wings and other airplanes, the older the part gets the weaker the system is. Steve's Aircraft has a very good replacement part and I highly reccomend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Mayes View Post
    I would start with the gas collator. The wire bail is a very weak point on our fuel system on the Short Wings and other airplanes, the older the part gets the weaker the system is. Steve's Aircraft has a very good replacement part and I highly reccomend it.
    That's why I have Steve's gas collator.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    That's why I have Steve's gas collator.
    I'm ordering one shortly for the float plane. Next summer all replace other plane

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there an AD for modifying the firewall to prevent oil and fuel buildup for potential for fire? Not saying that this was the cause but I'd be really interested on how this in-flight fire started. So we all can take precaution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    I'm ordering one shortly for the float plane. Next summer all replace other plane
    Jared, remember if you have the stock system there are two, one under the right front seat and one on the firewall.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member