Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pa 22 fire number 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pa 22 fire number 2

Well guys, I had no idea what went wrong so I kept my mouth shut until I could offer something of value. This morning at the usual breakfast location in Cambride Maryland I saw Don for the first time since the accident. He is doing well and recovering from his egress from the burning plane. Because I also have a Tripacer I was like everyone else concerned, but wanted to wait until Don was ready to talk about his experience.

Today was that day, and Don was very willing to discuss what happened and what he found out. He was at 1400 feet MSL after takeoff and smoke started to fill the cabin area from under the panel followed quickly by fire shooting up the right side of the windshield. You know the story of the return to the airport and the landing, but what we did not know or see was the right side of the airplane. All of the pictures that were posted were of the left side of the plane, but the upper right side of the cowling was burt and melted. Don went back to look at the plane and while he could not disassemble anything he did take a borescope with him to inspect what he could gain access to. On the right side the upper SCAT tube coming from the heat collector on the right exhaust tube was burnt away while the lower tube was in pretty good condition. He inserted the borescope in the opening for the upper tube and found the exhaust tube completely broken inside of the heat collector. He thinks the fire started there and either found its way through the firewall through the groment where the oil line penetrates the firewall, or started the oiline burning and that is how it got behind the firewall. We will have to wait for the official NTSB report, but that is where Don believes the fire started.

Don also read the NTSB report on the other recent fire in Tennessee and discovered that the exhaust stack broke just aft of the #4 cylinder and burnt through the firwall on the left side. That plane was only 100 feet after takeoff but still everyone made it out safely. So it might be wise to look closely at the exhaust system on preflight. It was not a fuel related fire and the gascolater and primer lines ahead of the firewall were all in good condition however in the cabin area the primer lines were melted away. So until the NTSB report is issued that is what is known.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I had a muffler blow out on the left side and burn the SCAT .
    There was Lots of smoke that made it past the shut off vent.
    At the time I had a,glider on two and wanted to get down pretty quickly.
    Luckily a Pacer can come down pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Jared, remember if you have the stock system there are two, one under the right front seat and one on the firewall.
    Thanks Jim for the heads up, I'm fully aware of it. I have dismantled my share of them over the years. I'm not nearly as concerned for that gascolator under the right seat as its secured by 4 bolts and heavy duty brackets and honestly never had issues. Event of a crash there would be much better likely of the hard lines cracking pouring fuel into the cabin then the gascolator itself failing. Now the standard Gascolator in front is held by a bail wire and some safety wire. That is a whole different story.

Cheers

Jared