Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Interested in Wag-Aero 2+2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interested in Wag-Aero 2+2

I'm finding myself torn between buying a Tri-Pacer and as I'm in the U.S. leaving it as "certified" and thus subject to all of the maintenance and modification limitations that that entails, or possibly building a Wag-Aero 2+2 which would free me from those limitations but still give me a Pacer-sized plane. Other than the higher cost of rolling my own, can anyone offer any experiences with the Wag-Aero plane? One issue for me is internal width, I'm a pretty big lad and have found that I'm quite a bit more comfortable in a Tri-Pacer than even a Pacer and that a Pacer-sized plane would be too cramped for me. I understand the 2+2 to essentially be an experimental Pacer, so I'm wondering if I could add the extra width of a Tri-Pacer via the sheet metal formers and get the room I need that way? Anyone have any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interested in Wag-Aero 2+2

The 2+2 is basically a narrow PA14 which will be tight for a big guy, and a passanger. The TriPacer is your most reasonable option. If your want PA 14 performance and are looking for a project. Check out the Bushmaster, it uses a TP fuselage and can be built experimental.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ask yourself if you want to fly or build? A 2+2 is a huge comitment in time and money but would be very rewarding and the way you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

You could build a Superchub, a tandem 2+2.
    Like mentioned, the question comes down to build or fly?

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ight=superchub

Post Thanks / Like

I'm scratch building a 2+2 (close to covering) and yes, it is a lot of work and time. Scratch building keeps the cost down but is a huge commitment. The 2+2 is identical in size to the PA14; basically a clone. Adding flaps and a jack screw to the 2+2 makes it about 98% PA14. I have the Piper fuselage drawing and the Wag plans and everything is the same. That said, you can build as much as you want or buy what you don't want to build. The plans are old-school and do not include a builders manual of any kind. There isn't much help from Wag but there is a great builders group on yahoo (WagAero Builders). I have a builders blog at http://www.marty2plus2.com/ and there is also lots of great info and other builders on Supercub.org. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marty, are there any guys in that group who have built or can build a Wag-a-bond fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKJurnee View Post
    Hey Marty, are there any guys in that group who have built or can build a Wag-a-bond fuselage?
    I took a look at the photo albums on the WagBuilders group and it looks like some have scratch built the fuselages and many have used bits and pieces of Piper fuselages. Unlike the 2+2, there are lots of donor fuselages out there suitable for a Wag-A-Bond build.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, there's a couple guys I know that are looking for vagabond fuselages and someone to help make or repair one. I'd like to help out searching since there are a couple of sets of paperwork wasting away.

Post Thanks / Like

I flew to Sun n Fun years ago with a 2+2 and and a Blanton conversion V6. It would literally fly circles around me which he did several times so I could catch up with him.