Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello world! Brand new Piper Colt Owner | Asking for Tips and Answers!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Hello world! Brand new Piper Colt Owner | Asking for Tips and Answers!

Hello all!

Brand new member, brand new aircraft owner.

I am a proud owner of a 1964 Piper Colt converted to a taildragger config and suped up with a 160hp engine. It has a pristine panel and has been modified with drooped wing tip extensions. Not to mention a sweet tail number of 5150Z I picked it up for a very attractive price and ferried it half the continent with no major operating issues

A few questions:

1). The alternator doesn't seem to work (found that in the pre-buy), anyone know how to troubleshoot / is this a common problem anyone else encountered? The alternator doesn't magnetize so assuming it is the voltage regulator. Right now I charge the battery overnight and it's good for about 4 starts without running the beacon or strobes. If helpful, some clues: my master switch is below the left seat. There is a circut breaker labeled "IGN" which is popped out that I have no idea what it is connected to.
    2). I seem to be running out of elevator on the flare. With the yoke all the way back I barely touch down tail-first and have to give it an extra burst of throttle to give it some additional elevator authority. Anyone's got any tips? I'm planning on putting a VG kit on her so hoping that will help.
    3). Are there any STCs available for extended baggage? I'd love to throw two mountain bikes in the back but they don't fit with that wall back there - any STC allows that to be converted to a net / gives some more room back there?

thank you all! Excited to be part of this community

image1(3).JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello world! Brand new Piper Colt Owner | Asking for Tips and Answers!

What speed are you holding in the flare? Are you trimmed for about 65-70 on close in final. If you are holding back pressure on final, you are going to run out of elevator in the flare.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello world! Brand new Piper Colt Owner | Asking for Tips and Answers!

I come in trimmed for 75 on the approach and back it off to somewhere under 70 on the flare, I pin it all the way back as hard as my little lady arms can hold her, but that tail still wants to fly.
    Last edited by 5150z_Kat; 03-10-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Weight at foreward cg? Add 25 lbs in back of baggage. Check elevator throws. Sounds like a nice plane. Take alternator to local auto parts store and have them check it. Alternator or generator?

Post Thanks / Like

Alternator. I end up stuffing the back with baggage.

Post Thanks / Like

Kat,
    lets start with his first:

- lots of mechanics out there but not all of them have shorting/fabric/piper experience. suggest you find one at least within flying distance. Most are old, gray and cranky; the older the better.

-Im going to step on KSG and recommend you do not remove the Alternator, yet. A popped breaker means a short and that is most likely in a wire or in the Regulator or OVCU unit if you have one. EnterAv charging system (look at the reg or logbooks)?

First look for a broken belt… then check field wire broken off the alt, its the small wire. Reach in there and wiggle the field post, is it loose at all? Then follow that field wire back to the Regulator. Pull this wire off the regulator and check for a direct short in both the wire to ground and the reg to ground with your ohm meter. With the wire disconnected, engage the master, try to reset the breaker, if it pops you can think about the positive voltage line to the regulator as suspect, test the same way for a direct short to ground. if the breaker does not pop check the field post for positive voltage it should be close to 8-12 volts.

Even if the regulator checks out bad you can still check the alt itself by " flashing the field" but this will take a couple of skilled operators, one to start and run the aircraft and another to apply buss voltage to the field wire you removed. This is a job for an experienced mechanic or trusted loved one. Buss voltage is applied to the field wire only momentarily while watching your volt or amp gage for positive output.

-I am going to suggest that ONLY after you have about 100 hours in 50Z that you trim for your decent rate, then give the trim handle about 1 to 1.5 turns more while pushing forward on the yoke to compensate for the pitching force. Then you will be able to get deeper into that flair. Only after you have 100 hours or more, OK? I have almost 2000 hours in my Nose dragger 22 so conventional types feel free to chime in and correct me.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket, amazing, thank you so much for such valuable advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kat, welcome to the club, and congratulations on your new Colt 160. That must be a real rocket ship on climb out with 50% more power than stock!

Not to sound like a creepy old guy trolling the young woman, but in what state do you live?
    Many of us have trusted mechanics and instructors familiar with Shortwing flying in our areas and could help steer you towards a good wrench & CFI to keep you and 50Z happy.

You might want to go to your local practice area, climb up to ~5000' AGL and practice slow flight and assorted stalls to find what trim settings help you get the nose up at touchdown speeds. Put a strip of masking tape alongside the trim indicator slot and use a sharpie to mark a few positions that might be useful, such as best glide, T/O, and landing at your preferred airspeed (in my PA22-150 it's about 65 mph.)

Regarding the bike loading, in our PA22 (and a PA20) the back seat is easily removable and the floor is pretty flat all the way to rear of the baggage compartment. Not too difficult to load one or two mountain bikes with one or more wheels removed. There is a large crossbar behind what would be rear passenger's neck area, and the upper part of the seat back is laced to that bar, we can hang the saddle on that and secure the bike. I don't know if a Colt has similar structure. And we also have a left-side rear door through which to load stuff, and some clearance from the wing struts on left side of plane.
    If one were to remove the rear panel of the Colt baggage area (say, for inspection or to replace it, wink wink) then one might legally fly in that condition, I think. And installing a light panel of aluminum would be simple, and keep the bike parts from damaging any exposed stuff in the belly aft of the baggage area. W&B should be considered of course, and securely lashing down bike parts to keep them from joining you up front at the wrong time.

Anyway, enjoy your plane, it's a great time of your to start getting to know her.

Best,
    Glen in Oregon
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds so sweet. I have a fresh TW Colt with 150 HP and it climbs at its 1600 gross like its scared of the ground. I can imagine what yours will do with just you aboard.
    There are not enough Colts around to make it worthwhile for the documentation to get STC's for a weight increase or extended baggage etc.
    Congrats on a super fun airplane. Where are you?
    John

Post Thanks / Like

hi Kat

3). Are there any STCs available for extended baggage? I'd love to throw two mountain bikes in the back but they don't fit with that wall back there - any STC allows that to be converted to a net / gives some more room back there?

Type in the search bar at the upper right of the page: "Andy's Pacer Restoration"

go to post 385 picture 2- it will give you a great picture of what is behind that "Wall"

have lots of fun with your new airplane

Shane