Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Starter Button

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starter Button

Has anyone experienced degradation or failure with the Manual Starter Contactor (under seat start button)? Specifically a loss of current flow or resistance past the contacts? I imagine it arcs when pushed and released. Wondering if over time it can limit the full amount of juice to the starter.

Thanks All, REID

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starter Button

My (under the seat start button) just decided to quit at the fuel pumps one day with no warning. I believe the starter button (under seat start button) activates the starter solenoid which has the contacts that energizes the starter. The contacts in the solenoid take the beating and could be the issue also.
    Craig

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by flying bee View Post
    My (under the seat start button) just decided to quit at the fuel pumps one day with no warning. I believe the starter button (under seat start button) activates the starter solenoid which has the contacts that energizes the starter. The contacts in the solenoid take the beating and could be the issue also.
    There is no starter relay, it just goes directly to the starter from your button. Yes the button is known to wear out over the years of its constant switching of high amperage. I'm actually amazed they have lasted this long. When my starter button went all to crap, I just ended up making a new box to support a starter solonoid and a AN series return switch. While at it I replaced the old master switch with a fuse breaker switch (35 amp)from Tyco (W31 Series). I think there was STC to do something similar to what I did. The nice thing about this install is the starter can not be engaged without the master being on.
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 03-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    There is no starter relay, it just goes directly to the starter from your button. Yes the button is known to wear out over the years of its constant switching of high amperage. I'm actually amazed they have lasted this long. When my starter button went all to crap, I just ended up making a new box to support a starter solonoid and a AN series return switch. While at it I replaced the old master switch with a fuse breaker switch (35 amp)from Tyco (W31 Series). I think there was STC to do something similar to what I did. The nice thing about this install is the starter can not be engaged without the master being on.
    IMG_0288.jpg
    This is how my bird is wired. A starter button energizing a starter solenoid.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Later Shortwings had a solenoid.

Post Thanks / Like

I am having intermittent (now very often) starter solenoid "failure to launch" due to what appears to be an intermittent 12v feed to the solenoid in my 58 PA22.
    I have not pulled the box apart yet, but curious if others have experience this and simply replaces the button. I ran a multi meter across the feed to the solenoid and it appears to be the low power 12v feed to activate the solenoid. Univair appears to have a replacement part (https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...tarter-switch/) but I'm curious if others have seen this same symptom. It is mostly failing at this point..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, I have had to replace those switches in both Pacer/Tri-Pacers and Super Cubs. Put a meter on that button and you can verify. The last one I replaced was an intermittent thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Funny you mention it because it was sitting here on my desk.
    IMG_20181015_163627.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

so it must be a common issue.. I'm assuming the Univair part replacement is in my future.

Post Thanks / Like