Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing Twisted Exhaust Studs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Removing Twisted Exhaust Studs

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Not much of a picture Steve!
    I think I fixed it.

Post Thanks / Like

that's better
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Does that tool hammer onto the stud, or how does it work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That piece hammers on and you turn the stud out and there is an insertion tool to screw the new stud in as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some pics of my trick for studs broken off flush.

Bottom hole, broke off just below surface. Common with steel screwed into aluminum. Corrosion in the threads jambs it tight in there. Welded a washer then nut to it. LET IT COMPLETELY COOL (actually had to do this one twice because I got impatient).

The work it out.

Obviously on an aircraft you have to be much more mindful of weld splatter lighting up the fabric, but I've done it on an exhaustive stud on a wide deck once for a friend that really didn't want to pull the jug.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Guys a bit off topic however could be helpful if you are needing a muffler change anyway. I sent in a Field approval for the "Hot Rod Muffler" for the PA-12/14 from F. Atlee Dodge here in Anchorage yesterday. The Hot Rod breathes much better and is a simple install on the PA-22/20's. It eliminates the 50 hour Insp AD. So only required Annual Inspection less on and off with your stacks. Heat Shroud is a HUGE improvement and it comes with the Muffler. $1445.00 at Stoddards or from Atlee.

http://www.fadodge.com/pa-12-hot-rod-muffler/

Post Thanks / Like

Jason (Jperkins), thought I'd share a video I came across the other day. Since you are doing auto repairs with steel studs in aluminum heads check out this video showing how to dissolve the stud (if you can afford the time it takes) but leave the aluminum untouched. Not going to help us aviators much but thought I'd share as I found it interesting and it might help you in your day job! I share this publicly only because it's interesting .. as I stated it's not going to help remove studs from a steel cylinder but the science behind it (and the humor from the author of the video) is enjoyable in my humble opinion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pralle View Post
    Guys a bit off topic however could be helpful if you are needing a muffler change anyway. I sent in a Field approval for the "Hot Rod Muffler" for the PA-12/14 from F. Atlee Dodge here in Anchorage yesterday. The Hot Rod breathes much better and is a simple install on the PA-22/20's. It eliminates the 50 hour Insp AD. So only required Annual Inspection less on and off with your stacks. Heat Shroud is a HUGE improvement and it comes with the Muffler. $1445.00 at Stoddards or from Atlee.

http://www.fadodge.com/pa-12-hot-rod-muffler/
    Jeff, Did Butch get the AD requirements removed from his 12?14 muffler finally. Last time I talked to him the FAA still required it. Kinda dumb since there are no baffles. They are a lot louder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sophistical View Post
    Jason (Jperkins), thought I'd share a video I came across the other day. Since you are doing auto repairs with steel studs in aluminum heads check out this video showing how to dissolve the stud (if you can afford the time it takes) but leave the aluminum untouched. Not going to help us aviators much but thought I'd share as I found it interesting and it might help you in your day job! I share this publicly only because it's interesting .. as I stated it's not going to help remove studs from a steel cylinder but the science behind it (and the humor from the author of the video) is enjoyable in my humble opinion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM
    Very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Jeff, Did Butch get the AD requirements removed from his 12?14 muffler finally. Last time I talked to him the FAA still required it. Kinda dumb since there are no baffles. They are a lot louder.

Morning Steve,

Good question. According to the STC paperwork "muffler shall be inspected annually in accordance with section 7 and at normally scheduled maintenance intervals."

Section 7 of the STC ICAs. So as I read that it means Annually inspect. This STC is a change to the TCDS when installed. At that time this installation and paperwork would supersede the original type design and therefore remove the AD. Correct me if I am wrong.

The 50 hour inspection requirement, while a good idea, is one of the most abused ADs I see. I have guys come in at annual with 2-300 hours on their planes and have never come back in to comply with the muffler inspection AD.