Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Visual 19 KDCA

Post Thanks / Like

Default River Visual 19 KDCA

One of the best approaches to do in the system, either the LDA Z 19 or River Visual 19 into DCA. Almost like doing gravel bar landings at a REF speed of 135kts with all out, but not landing on them. And then cranking it over with a hard right to short final from a heading of 145 degrees to line up to 185 degrees (40 degree turn at 300-400 agl) for landing on RWY 19. If there is a strong from the west it is easy to get east of the runway when turning final. It is a blast to hand fly with the HUD. To top it all off the TWR always always orders you to get off the runway 2xASAP because they 1 or 2 planes taking off before the next one lands. I guess that as close as I will ever land on a Carrier!!

Peter Lubig
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: River Visual 19 KDCA

Its always interesting to be in Gravelly Point Park at the North end of the airport and watch them come in.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved that big boy approach. I really liked it in a DC-9 (no FMC). I probably did 200 times in 20 some years at CAL. One of my best "war stories" was doing it in rainy MVFR with a Army Res LtC (helo guy) that worked at the Pentagon for the Joint Chiefs. He pick up a land mark he recognized. He said we were good, I trusted him and BAM VASI RW19 white over red. Landed, went to the hotel.
    In the '80s the commuter guys did an unpublished approach "Anacostia River Visual to 22" (4720 ft at the time) did that a several of times in the DC-9 in the early '90. Can't do that with FOQA anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be a handful also when doing the MT VERON Visual on Rwy 1 and the last 2 miles Tower clears you for a lift vis. landing on 33, have to go to the east side of the river with gear down, flap 45 and another tight turn, this time a left one. When in the turn the stall margin comes up and gets your attention real quick. Great fun. The Expressway Visual Rwy 13 at LaGuargia is a hoot to fly!!!

Anyone else have any interesting/fun approaches?

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Peter have your copilot shoot a video while you do this and post it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Peter have your copilot shoot a video while you do this and post it.
    Gilbert this is not a one pilot approach. Get a jump seater to do it. Now that I said that, my approach briefing with a jump seater had him helping if he saw something.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert, I found a good on for you. See if you can get to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zco3XlYt6Ko

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Clayton, great video.
    Now for the dumb question; why can't you line up 10 miles north and just fly in. It's not like you have an airport in a bowl.
    Noise restrictions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Thanks Clayton, great video.
    Now for the dumb question; why can't you line up 10 miles north and just fly in. It's not like you have an airport in a bowl.
    Noise restrictions?
    This picture will help. It is the P-56 AREA Surface to 18,000, have to be on the 328 +-3 to 4 degrees close in to recapture the radial, but that's it. One or 2 of our planes came close to crossing the line and the FAA could take your companies authority to operate in KDCA. plus a SAM up your butt would not be fun either ;-)

PL

Post Thanks / Like