Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Eddie Trimmer Brake STC For PA16, 20 and 22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Eddie Trimmer Brake STC For PA16, 20 and 22.

Got a call from Eddie Trimmer yesterday to let me know he has received an STC to install Cleveland or Alaskan Bushwheel wheels and brakes on the PA12, 16, 18, 20 and 22. The brake kits are Cleveland 199-62 and 199-62A or Alaska Bushwheels ABI-199-62 or ABI-199-62A for the 1 1/2" axles and the Cleveland 199-71 or Alaskan Bushwheels ABI-199-71 for the 1 1/4" axles. The cost of the STC is $400. I am a dealer for wheels and brakes through Airframes/Alaskan Bushwheels and can offer my 5% discount on the wheel and brake kits. That put the 1 1/4" kit at $1800 and the 3 bolt 1 1/2" kit at $1582. The comperable Cleveland kits are $1725-$2133.

https://www.airframesalaska.com/Alas...abi-199-71.htm

https://www.airframesalaska.com/Alas...abi-199-62.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Eddie Trimmer Brake STC For PA16, 20 and 22.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. What is the weight of the Alaskan brake system and wheels? I am working with Beringer and ANC FAA for a field approval for the Beringer brake and aluminum wheels on my PA-22 with Eddie's PA-18 3" extended gear. I forget the weight savings but it was in the 5+ pounds range.

-Peter

Post Thanks / Like

How does this compare to Grove prices?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Bushwheel wheels and brakes are interchangable with Cleveland but are only available in aluminum where Cleveland are available in aluminum and magnesium. Graoves are available in both as well. Magnesium is lighter than aluminum but is also more susceptible to corrosion. I am not sure on exact weight differences. I bet Alaskan Bushweel can provide exact weights.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Just saw this post.
    ordered the ABI 199-62 today. I
    would have ordered it from ya.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just returned to shortwingpipers.org, glad to be here. I know this is an older thread but, due to planning a tail-wheel Colt - this STC is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Just need a little clarification on the post, I would need to obtain the STC directly from Eddie and order the ABI brake/wheel from you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can get the wheels or the wheel and brake kits at a discount and you can buy the brake STC directly from Eddie. See the other post for an alternative method. Looks like you would spend a lot more money replacing both the wheels and the brakes rather than just the wheels. Can help either way with my discounts from ABI.