Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a pacer

Might be interested in a 150 hp pa20 I have a cousin that is looking for a plane but they want a pa20 not A converted 22

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a pacer

Quote Originally Posted by dbudd View Post
    Might be interested in a 150 hp pa20 I have a cousin that is looking for a plane but they want a pa20 not A converted 22
    Why does he specify a PA20 and not a 22/20?

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking Steve

Post Thanks / Like

He owned pa20 once and said he flew a 22/20 and didn't like it said it didn't handle the same. ????????

Post Thanks / Like

I think a little cabin width, panel and seating options are the only differences... Maybe he prefers the narrow gear?

Post Thanks / Like

His had the wide gear like mine. Maybe on the 22/20 the gear wasn't put on straight and it was squirrelly on the ground or maybe it was heavier so didn't perform as good. The EW on my pa 20-150 is about 950lbs what is it on a 1957 converted 22/20? I will ask him next time I see him why

Post Thanks / Like

He owned pa20 once and said he flew a 22/20 and didn't like it said it didn't handle the same. ????????
    PA 20 has smaller cable driven aileron inputs. The PA-22 are larger sprockets at the ailerons with a chain to connect both.

Post Thanks / Like

The EW on my pa 20-150 is about 950lbs what is it on a 1957 converted 22/20? I will ask him next time I see him why
    My 57 22/20 which is far from stock weighs 1165, down from 1180 and hoping to continue that trend. Has all the gyros and radios to be basic IFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    PA 20 has smaller cable driven aileron inputs. The PA-22 are larger sprockets at the ailerons with a chain to connect both.
    I don't have all of the prints with me but I think the original -22s had the cable also, I remember there being two different control yoke shafts.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

His had the wide gear like mine. Maybe on the 22/20 the gear wasn't put on straight and it was squirrelly on the ground or maybe it was heavier so didn't perform as good. The EW on my pa 20-150 is about 950lbs what is it on a 1957 converted 22/20? I will ask him next time I see him why
    Is that weighed or calculated off the original weight and balance? They all gained weight over the years but that is Clipper weight and there are a lot of heavy parts standard in a Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post

I don't have all of the prints with me but I think the original -22s had the cable also, I remember there being two different control yoke shafts.
    The early Pacers have a large phenolic pulley with a cable attached to the end of the yoke shaft where the later airplanes had a smaller sprocket and chain. Quicker aileron responce with the early pulley/cable system because of the larger arm/advantage.