Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Need original style Wheelen Rotating Beacon for rear stabilizer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need original style Wheelen Rotating Beacon for rear stabilizer

Hello Forum

As I have stated before I am in the process of sourcing original parts for a tip to tail total restoration of my old Tri Pacer that I learned to fly in 41 years ago. I have already stated in another thread my need for a Narco Superhomer and now would like to see if anyone still has the old style "bulb" rotating beacon - the one that fits the large fairing on the top of the Rudder. The original one that I had must have been replaced some years back with a more "modern" one but it looks unsightly with the oversized fairing to rudder piece below it. I would like to find an original one that I could overhaul and replace it with. The kind I need has the two bulbs that turn around and around inside a large rounded red lens. Please email me if you have one of message me here. I will pay a fair price for it !

Thanks

Mark Wyant
    Dallas, Texas
    dmark22@mac.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need original style Wheelen Rotating Beacon for rear stabilizer

I understand the desire for an original look, but I'd like to suggest you consider installing something like an LED red beacon that looks similar to the original. You could find the most similar-looking one that is available and certified, and it would be 10x more effective.

We installed a Whelen one on the Twin Comanche a few years ago to replace the old rotating beacon, and it's the best safety item we could have added for the money. Even a brand new belly strobe unit is far less noticeable on it in the daytime. The LED beacon is the first thing you see during the day, which to me is a big advantage for collision avoidance. The rotating beacon was barely visible at nighttime, so we were impressed with the upgrade to say the least.

And it's not something you should be concerned about for judging purposes, because they do not deduct points for safety items like this.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Zac,

I appreciate and understand your thoughts. I am installing a set of wing tip strobes that utilize the old lens and fairings on the wing tips and will have that greatly improved system for traffic avoidance. There is no substitute for the old Wheelen beacon on the tail for looks however and thats why I want one...

Best!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Found,, thanks!