Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by dmark1 View Post
    I didn't realize we were in court
    If I bought a third plane like Piperrocks, I'd would be, divorce court that is, haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Well Maybe we made a difference today. If not it made us feel good. We gave a ride to a 8 year old boy in the SNJ today. His first time in a plane. It was a complete surprise to him and he was turning flips after the flight.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great story. Jim!

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by AKJurnee View Post
    If I bought a third plane like Piperrocks, I'd would be, divorce court that is, haha!
    My wifey will see me in divorce court if I don't buy a third airplane...

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    Well Maybe we made a difference today. If not it made us feel good. We gave a ride to a 8 year old boy in the SNJ today. His first time in a plane. It was a complete surprise to him and he was turning flips after the flight.

Talking about Young Eagles, back between 2006 and 2009. I have taken about fourty kids flying. Great Times / best flying times in my life. Couple pictures I thought I would share since we are on the Young Eagles topic. If anything it thought one girl that had a hard life. 11 year old can fly!!!! Brought her grades right up!!! Not many kids at the age can say they were allowed to takeoff. I knew from my class and she did lots of ground schooling and questions above and beyond the program before the flight. That day she got more privilege then most kids. She was such a natural she did the taxi, takeoff and flying and talked her down to the last twenty feet of the runway. Never touched a control... Thinking back should of just let her land as it thew me off taking control so close to touchdown. . Here is picture of her flying and others that received the certificate.

IMG_0011.JPG

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

THAT is why aviation will never die as an avocation! We just have to get them to the airplane!

" Mr. FAA Administrator - TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by dmark1 View Post
    Yeah I know I was in that training for upset recovery given in 1999. The A300 was said to have much less pedal pressure needed to exceed the rudders structural limits than a Boeing.
    Accident happens 2 years later...
    Trying not to continue into the weeds off topic but, that is a correct incomplete statement. Boeing uses rudder ratio (same pedal displacement for less rudder throw as speed increases) and the A300 uses a rudder limiter (mechanical bar restricts pedal movement but the ratio is unaffected.) Not bad, just different.

In another life I flew Barons and Aerostars concurrently. Other than being light twins they are completely different, you try to fly the Aerostar like a Baron and you'll be a smoking hole. I know, I tried really hard two or three times to crash the Deathstar before I learned.

On topic, here is one of the Young Eagles I flew with last year, her goal is the Air Force Academy. Great kid!

Last edited by Jim Hann; 04-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of fences. While Son was stationed in Norfolk and living in Chesapeake VA we kept our planes at Hampton Roads Airport for about 14 years. It is a privately owned LARGE airport with no fences. A great time was had with the flying, great friends, and hangar parties for all. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE
    You can NEVER have tooooooooo many airplanes. When Son and I decide to by another Wifie says SELL one. My Comment. You don't sell planes you buy them. We have sold ones we should have kept. Must be why we are up to six now and all are flying. Time to buy another project. In 50 years of planes and plain fun I have never lost money on one. And I have had a few

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Flying has always been an avocation for the wealthy.
    My 13 year old son gets this at school a lot, "we must be rich because we fly airplanes." I laugh. I was working in a warbird restoration shop making $11 an hour driving a 15 year old car, living in a $15K house and working on airplanes after my day job and swapping maintenance on my instructors C140A for dual in my $12K Clipper I bought with a partner. You have to be wealthy, you just have to make different life choices. I have a friend who complains that he can't afford to fly but he just built a $400K house and always drives a new car. Choices.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    My 13 year old son gets this at school a lot, "we must be rich because we fly airplanes." I laugh. I was working in a warbird restoration shop making $11 an hour driving a 15 year old car, living in a $15K house and working on airplanes after my day job and swapping maintenance on my instructors C140A for dual in my $12K Clipper I bought with a partner. You have to be wealthy, you just have to make different life choices. I have a friend who complains that he can't afford to fly but he just built a $400K house and always drives a new car. Choices.

That is exactly true for some.. Simulair story to myself and I'm sure for many here. But the problem is guy meets cute girl and cute girl wants 400k house. (Not always the case) but it's in most cases at least around in my neck of the woods. Another issue is around Canada you can't buy anything for under 200k that be close to your work place for most. So it's not always a life choice Steve sometimes you just don't have a choice. My parents paid off there mortgage at 12%!! In ten years. Most will not pay there mortgage off these days.