Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

My wife wants to get her ticket and she really likes the TriPacers "retro coolness" as she puts it; she also likes the rear door which she calls the "General Patton" door (our male Doberman travelling companion). Her dad (gone west many years ago) had an Aeronca and later a Swift in her childhood and that is part of the retro appeal to her, I think. It seems like a capable and straightforward airplane to me from what I've read but I have no direct experience with one or any other Pipers for that matter other than riding in my brother's Comanche 250 long ago.

We have a BD-4 with an IO-470 that really is not suitable as a trainer because of the vulnerability of the nosegear with 500 pounds of engine and propeller above it. If it were to be dropped in hard even once it could get very expensive very fast......I certainly slammed a C-152 onto the tarmac a few times while learning and suppose she may do the same.

I've never flown a PA-22 and hear alot about it's sink rate. Is it similar to a C-182 when you are a little slow and cut the power on short final (sure recipe to drop a 182 in and possibly bend the firewall in the process)?

Thoughts about the -22 as a trainer are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

The Colt, PA-22-108, was the Piper trainer of choice from 1960 until the PA-28-140 came along about 1964. I've started any number of students in TriPacers and Colts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a great trainer! I started my times in a tripe when I had just gotten my ticket. I wished I had trained in it from the beginning. Not sure about your 182 question [I have zero time in a 182] but the tripe does remind me of a 172 in many ways, just not the floating down the runway when you want to land cessna way. You don't want to get way behind the curve, but then you never want to do that. What your wife needs is an instructor familiar with the shortwing pipers. Probably the biggest adjustment I had to make, was the johnson bar single brake.

Post Thanks / Like

To be truthful, and not to slam short wings, the best way to start is in a J3 or a 7AC. Learn to fly first, then learn all the other stuff. Learn GOOD habits first, so you don't have to unlearn the BAD habits later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I learned in a PA-22. Keep 1500-1700 rpm all the way down until the wheels touch. After you get the feel for it, you can start to use less throttle as needed, but power-off landings are not a good way to start...

...my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, I very much enjoyed your account of your training, 14 DAYS TO ALASKA

Post Thanks / Like

Me too! Was fun to live and fun to write!

And I can only say...as to dgapilot's comment...learning in a PA-22 works out pretty well...I have flown an awful lot of airplanes since then, seems to have given me the foundation to handle them all...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Troy. My wife learned in a Tri-Pacer, good economicall trainer in my opinion. Just carry a little power to the runway. After time you can let it sink and drop the nose a bit and flair or add a burst of power at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Tripacer gear is actually pretty strong. The biggest issue I see with new pilots is trying to land too fast. They do this because the CFI tells them too. I think they have heard too many flys like a brick story and get scared. Find a CFI that has some pacer/tri-pacer time and knows how to slow down. Like the others said just leave power on and they are one of the best flying planes you can find!!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries