Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing a PA-22 for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    This was a camp out we did abut a month ago. Pacer, Super Cruiser, 2 Maules, 3 Super Cubs and a Bird Dog. Age of pilots was 21 to mid 50s. 2 guys are pretty well off the rest were me, a guy that flies pipeline, a construction worker and a guy that owns an FBO. 9 airplanes with pilots and their kids. There is hope.
    Attachment 11831

Best post of the thread
    Attachment 11831
    Attachment 11832Attachment 11833Attachment 11833Attachment 11833Attachment 11834

Best post of the thread

Post Thanks / Like

Another note as a relatively new first-time Tri-Pacer owner, in case it hasn't been mentioned yet. The milk stool sits a little high on touch down. My first few landings were greasers that could've put too much stress on the nose gear if I'd have been descending further and faster. It didn't take long to adjust for the high stance, and become familiar with landing with or without power.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    I learned in a PA-22. Keep 1500-1700 rpm all the way down until the wheels touch. After you get the feel for it, you can start to use less throttle as needed, but power-off landings are not a good way to start...

...my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmark1 View Post
    I hate to be a cynic but give him 20 years of TSA. reserve, PEB, pissed off militant gay flight attendants and contract negotiations.
    You would have to know him, he has told me stories I could not post here. It is funny my dealings with airline pilots over the years. There are those that piss and moan constantantly, my responce is to quit. Then there are those that love it, not neccesarily the job but the pay and the time time off. Accept the things you cannot change, accept the things you can't and the wisdom to know the differene. A friend with a very nice Bonanza and always a cool, fun airplane use to come to my shop and piss and moan. I had been to his house, seen his toys and way of life and finally got tired of it and told him he should quit, he could come work for me for $10 an hour (many year ago). Shortly there after he did quit, started flying a King Air for a bank, down sized and he is a completely different person. Much easier to be around.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess you were lucky. I heard four at my 22 years there. Mostly during DFW-HNL legs back home? Maybe all nighters had something to do with it
    That is not flying.

I don't talk about my time at AA.

I probably talk too much about my fighter career.

That was flying!
    Last edited by EddieFoy; 04-20-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first read Eddie's post I thought AA was a reference to a 12 step program...
    thought "that is quite a bit of sharing!" then I realized the flight company reference to big iron

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just finished reading in Sprat Aviation about the Program for Kids in "The Candler Field Museum Youth Aviation Program" Wow what a program. It is a real shame that Ron Alexander isn't still with us, but the program will continue.
    A bunch of motivated kids that want and must work on Champs and Cubs to be able to fly them.
    Read the feel good article. I known everyone on here is an EAA member, if not shame on you.
    Yes the Youth is still interested in aviation and old planes.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be a cynic but give him 20 years of TSA. reserve, PEB, pissed off militant gay flight attendants and contract negotiations.
    Wow, I really don't miss flying self loading cargo! Steve, he needs to apply here or Purple when he has his time!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, long thread. Kinda got off the subject. I have found my PA 22/20 taildragger Colt a bit harder to learn, but will be able to fly nearly anything I want when done training. Even the tricycles being short-coupled will be more work but worth it. When the thread moved past that, I can say flying is still affordable even today. I found my bird with 1500 TT and 950 SMOH for $11,500. I pay tie-down @ $77.00 a quarter. (less than a buck a day) Annual from $500-$800. Auto gas STC. 5-6 gal per hour. Liability insurance, $500 a year. So far, near $25K for 100 hours of twin stick time in air including cost of plane and some repairs and upgrades. I am near solo now. Doesn't sound like an unattainable goal to me. Kids today are much as always have been. Yes, some will crap on you but there are MANY who would do all the earlier posts I have seen here and more to be a part of this. Young Eagles gets my vote! And I hate to say, fences DO have a purpose. The 100 or so slashed tires at Merrill field in Anchorage will attest to that. And where I tie down in Palmer, I just had a tank of 100LL drained. (after midnight) Open house type events and weekend fly-ins should allow those interested to see enough. MY 2 CENTS
    Last edited by PaalJP; 05-03-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Carrying power on final and dragging it in time after time makes for a nice landing, but some 50 years ago my instructor taught me to always be high enough in the pattern to make the runway if the engine quits. So if you're going to carry 12-1500 rpm until touchdown, add a little altitude and airspeed out there-just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me understand the landing of the tri-pacer

As a student pilot and new tri pacer owner, I am trying to learn all I can about everything. One thing that has me a bit confused is the landing speeds of the tri pacer and it’s short landing capacity. Here is what I’m wondering...

The simple version.... The published stall speed of my plane is 49mph (flaps down). The recommended landing speed over the numbers is around 75-70mph with 1500 rpm, based on most answers I have found on various forums and information on the tri-pacer. Why is it so high above stall speed?

When watching many of the STOL / backcountry flying videos of carbon cubs and kitfoxes and what not, you often see and hear them landing with the stall buzzer going off for a good portion of end of the approach prior to blipping the throttle in the “flair” and touching down. Can a tri pacer be landed in this same manner? I am guessing that the short wing nature means less lift compared to the above mentioned planes, but with a stall speed published at 49mph with flaps, can’t a tri pacer be brought in with a slower approach, or does the short wing just just not produce enough lift for manageable decent rates at near stall speeds? Or can these planes be flown where the speed is closer to stall but the decent rates manageable for a non-carrier landing? thanks in advance for the help. Hope it’s not a stupid question.