Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gust Lock for Clipper

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gust Lock for Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by eskflyer View Post
    here is my answer for pretty inexpensive gust lock. To remove is part of preflight. If you forget to remove you probably wont the next time cuzz there wont be a next time. I have 5 of these one for each flap to aileron, one for each side of horizontal to elevator , and one for rudder.
    I wouldn't worry about two on the elevator, just more to forget. As for the rudder, my tailwheel held it good and firm during that level 6 TSRA @ Oshkosh in 2015 but it did move off center because I couldn't get the ropes any tighter and the airplane shifted slightly. Whether or not that would put undue stress on the rudder/fin is something I can't answer.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

6-8" inch circle of 1/4 " plywood , Paint plywood , glue 1" medium density blue foam to plywood circles with contact cement or glue of your choice, drill hole in center of circle, use 6-8" long 1/4" diameter eyebolt and slip it thru hole and wing nut to tighten. I have never lost one in a wind storm and we have been using these for more than 20 years on airplanes. Yes I would put them on the elevator and ruder also. Have seen the damage from not doing that, it aint pretty. Write it into your preflight checklist to remove "gust locks" and check controls free, clear, correct. usually cost about 15-20 bucks to make a set of 5.
    And to answer your question does it hurts the fabric. NOPE not at all. have never seen damage or paint issues in 20 + years of using these style gust locks
    Last edited by eskflyer; 04-27-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much! BA