Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Piper Pacer Pa20

piperrocks2013

Default Piper Pacer Pa20

Good Morning just wondering what is everyones thoughts of a PA20 with O290 125hp. May have found one low time, restored for a good price and just want advise. Can the Original Pa20 be upgraded to 180Hp?? I know 22/20 can with STC.

Cheers
    Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper Pacer Pa20

Hi Jared,
    Mine has the 290 in it, and it does OK with that at summer temperatures at 2400 ASL.
    When I first got my plane I had it at 700 ASL, and as you'd expect, the performance was much better. I really enjoyed tooting around at the lower elevations, and performance never seemed to be an issue. Whe I moved to the Edmonton area, the performance drop was very noticeable, my guess is within a year you'd be looking to upgrade it to 150HP......especially since you have experience with the 150 HP one already.....you'll miss the power.
    Trimmer has an STC for the 180 on a Pacer

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    Hi Jared,
    Mine has the 290 in it, and it does OK with that at summer temperatures at 2400 ASL.
    When I first got my plane I had it at 700 ASL, and as you'd expect, the performance was much better. I really enjoyed tooting around at the lower elevations, and performance never seemed to be an issue. Whe I moved to the Edmonton area, the performance drop was very noticeable, my guess is within a year you'd be looking to upgrade it to 150HP......especially since you have experience with the 150 HP one already.....you'll miss the power.
    Trimmer has an STC for the 180 on a Pacer

Thabks for the info. Good to know

Post Thanks / Like

Only ran into an almost bad day with mine once...a 1950 with the 125 hp.. 1850 pounds and 8,700 foot altitude density. Stock wings and tail with the exception of VG's. Needed every inch of the runway and one notch of flaps....and I didn't know the runway was uphill by three degrees. Nothing wrong with a 125 hp Pacer...especially with negative altitude density...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ours is very light 1953 model with the 135 hp engine and we are very happy with the performance plus it's quite stingy on fuel.