Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    I look for advice for this project
    thanks Paolo

  2. #2
    Stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lopez Island, WA
    Posts
    3,150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Give more information about your goals. Do you own a Colt?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Give more information about your goals. Do you own a Colt?
    I would like to change it this way
    150 hp engine , flap, taildragger, variable pitch propeller
    yes my plane is piper PA22/108 COLT
    IMG_7752.jpg

  4. #4
    Stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lopez Island, WA
    Posts
    3,150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    I would like to change it this way
    150 hp engine , flap, taildragger, variable pitch propeller
    yes my plane is piper PA22/108 COLT
    IMG_7752.jpg
    Wow! That would be an impressive two place airplane. If cost is an issue, buying a 150 PA 22/20 would be cheaper. If you are going to do this much work, you might consider a left side door and sky light.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Wow! That would be an impressive two place airplane. If cost is an issue, buying a 150 PA 22/20 would be cheaper. If you are going to do this much work, you might consider a left side door and sky light.
    For me is a challenge
    Nice idea Stephen left side door super !!!Thanks

  6. #6
    Administrator Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Graham, Texas, United States
    Posts
    11,698
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Do you have to comply with FAA Regs? If not I would get the drawings from the Short Wing Piper Club and modify the Colt wings to Tri-Pacer configuration. Eddie Trimmer http://www.trimmeraviation.com has STC for gear modification and left hand door. Univair http://www.univair.com has geat mod as well.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Do you have to comply with FAA Regs? If not I would get the drawings from the Short Wing Piper Club and modify the Colt wings to Tri-Pacer configuration. Eddie Trimmer http://www.trimmeraviation.com has STC for gear modification and left hand door. Univair http://www.univair.com has geat mod as well.
    I do not need faa certification is experimental plane,
    To which email address I must ask the club to get the drawings?

  8. #8
    Stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lopez Island, WA
    Posts
    3,150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    I do not need faa certification is experimental plane,
    To which email address I must ask the club to get the drawings?
    Google short wing Piper club.

    Since it will be experimental, check out one of the wing extension mods. I like Sullivan. It is simple to do but, you can enlarge your aileron at the same time and get lower stall and increased roll rate. When I did this mod I had no decrease in cruise.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

  9. #9
    Old3pacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    While altering the wings, consider vortex generators...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Help for convert PA22/108 colt to taildragger

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Google short wing Piper club.

    Since it will be experimental, check out one of the wing extension mods. I like Sullivan. It is simple to do but, you can enlarge your aileron at the same time and get lower stall and increased roll rate. When I did this mod I had no decrease in cruise.
    Thanks guys
    IMG_7770.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •