Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Johnson Creek June 15-18th

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Johnson Creek June 15-18th

Andy, Wrong guy. I don't have a Clipper. Just a humble PA22 150. Maybe there's a book out there on backcountry strips...

Post Thanks / Like

So! Bender's Pacer kicked your longwing Super Cub's butt in the mountains.
    Beside that it has more room and cruises much faster and cost a fraction of the SC to purchase. So why do you fly a Super Cub?

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a ton of fun - I really want to go one of these years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes Andy I do need to finish my Clipper. I probably got off the ground quicker but that 160 hp Pacer and SC did kik my butt in the extended climb. Didn't help that Lee now weighs 130 lbs.

There are plenty of Idaho strips you can land a Tri-Pacer on. Bob can attest to that. I don't know the specific lengths, most are on the charts but Galen Hanselman's Fly Idaho book is a great resource with information about all of the Idaho back country strips and a scale of how hard each one is. The thing that really gets you is density altitude and winds. We were fortunate this year and flew all day. 2 years ago we got caught out after 1 pm and gotour butt kicked in the down drafts. I didn't want to attempt going into Johnson Creek so we went to McCall and waited for things to cool off. It is a challenge and you see some beutiful country.

http://www.flyidaho.com