Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Short Wing Pipers @ Oshkosh 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Short Wing Pipers @ Oshkosh 2017

Zac.... The L3 Lynx 9000 is a terrific unit. We have 4 aircraft and I have installed Lynx units in 2 of them. As you know it is a totally freestanding transponder/ADSB unit with very nice displays. It has worked as advertised and has been very easy to use. Their tech support is great too. Make sure you get the ATAS feature (they seem to provide it at no cost if you just beg a bit). It is the feature that talks to you and provides aural warnings when there is a potential traffic issue. It is very smart software to not just alert to anything in the area, only if it meets the criteria to be a threat.
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    The Garmin GDL-82 seems very straightforward and simple to install. We ordered one for the Tri-Pacer. It's UAT 978 Mhz and has a programmable anonymous mode, which is a plus to me. The only downside is that it's OUT only. You give it power, install a GPS receiver, and connect the unit in line to the existing transponder coax. We also ordered an L3 Lynx unit for the Comanche. We spent the entire week making our ADS-B decision and this is the best option for the money imho. In the Comanche the goal was to get ADS-B traffic & wx in the cockpit and eventually have a GPS navigator and get rid of the need for the iPad on our laps the whole flight. The price has come down considerably on the Lynx since its' introduction and it seemed like the best use of our money. All the other options either cost more or were missing something that we were looking for with the upgrade.
    did you mean GPS antenna, "You give it power, install a GPS receiver" I thought it had the GPS receive as part of the unit.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I read on their web site Uavionix is working on a ATSB in unit for the right wing light as well. Just have to fly with the nav lights on. No big deal since they are led included. Hopefully this doesn't go the same as their pingbuddy2. They won't even talk about that. I think in the mean time I'll put together a stratux kit. Any body tried it?
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I read on their web site Uavionix is working on a ATSB in unit for the right wing light as well. Just have to fly with the nav lights on. No big deal since they are led included. Hopefully this doesn't go the same as their pingbuddy2. They won't even talk about that. I think in the mean time I'll put together a stratux kit. Any body tried it?
    I bought the stratux kit on Amazon with the upgraded case with cooling fan and the upgraded antennas. I think it was about $130, took 10 minutes to put together and works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Too bad Uavionix ADSB didn't have a bigger antenna. I could work like a winglet.
    If you could mount it to the right wing it might counteract the P-factor
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I think this got hijacked by a joint effort with Foreflight and renamed the Scout that's made to work with that software only.

Scout Dual-Band ADS-B Receiver for Inflight Weather & Traffic - Made for ForeFlight by uAvionix

This is kind of what I expect will happen to most low-cost solutions. They will get bought out by the big boys who control the market and either shelved or assimilated -kind of like the Borg.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

My ancient and wheezing KT78A died again on the way to OSH. I was tempted to look for another one or a slide in replacement (the KT76A or KT76C) and buy the GDL82. Two things happened, one the -82 is not yet on the FAA rebate. Second, Garmin price matched Stratus with the GTX335 and added $100 rebate on. So I forked out the money for the GTX335 and a new ACK A30.9 encoder (y'all need Gray code with this fancy stuff) AFTER I confirmed a slot with a local shop in STL (actually at ALN.) So 43D will be good to go by late August, meanwhile I can't fly without a transponder.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    did you mean GPS antenna, "You give it power, install a GPS receiver" I thought it had the GPS receive as part of the unit.
    I learned this information at Oshkosh this year, because I was in the same line of thinking as you are from what I can tell;

When a unit is considered to have a "built-in WAAS receiver", it means it has the circuitry necessary to provide a differential GPS correction using WAAS. This does not mean that it has an "antenna". None of the major brands I looked at can be installed without a GPS antenna. However, some of them require another unit (such as a GPS navigator) to provide the transponder with a position source because that particular transponder does not have its own WAAS receiver. Hopefully I explained it well enough. It took several days of learning on this subject before I realized this detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    My ancient and wheezing KT78A died again on the way to OSH. I was tempted to look for another one or a slide in replacement (the KT76A or KT76C) and buy the GDL82. Two things happened, one the -82 is not yet on the FAA rebate. Second, Garmin price matched Stratus with the GTX335 and added $100 rebate on. So I forked out the money for the GTX335 and a new ACK A30.9 encoder (y'all need Gray code with this fancy stuff) AFTER I confirmed a slot with a local shop in STL (actually at ALN.) So 43D will be good to go by late August, meanwhile I can't fly without a transponder.
    I didn't realize West Star was interested in doing avionics on small airplanes. How were they to work with so far, and have you had work done there before?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    I didn't realize West Star was interested in doing avionics on small airplanes. How were they to work with so far, and have you had work done there before?
    Not West Star, Big River Aviation owned by Paul Vorhees. Look him up on the net or Facebook.
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so we are a little past mid-August. Long story but I couldn't fly either so the ADS-B was put on the back burner at the shop. The install is complete and the programming is in progress (picture from the A&P, initial power up). Transponder check is scheduled for Wednesday and then I'll go fly around for a while to get my qualifying info for the rebate!
    IMG_0878.jpg
    Lifetime EAA member