Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stratus Power Source from Sporty's

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Stratus Power Source from Sporty's

Going through my piles of emails this morning I found this from Sporty's. A USB power source for those of us using tablets and Stratus has been a topic of conversation. I've been using a portable power source. Would this be compatible with our planes?

stratus-powertm.html

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stratus Power Source from Sporty's

Yes, but ; A TSO'd USB Power source for $350.00 ??? You have GOT TO BE ***TTING ME. (with a Capital SHI)

Post Thanks / Like

Can one just add a cigar lighter and use a high powered adapter? I've got an Aukey that's dual 2.4 amp and keeps my phone and ipad charged with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I'am with Homer, $350! That's nuts. I guess that is the cost to fund the FAA bureaucracy.

I use two of these. Anker Power Drive 2 Car Charger. https://www.anker.com/products/A2310022

Buy at:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH88CJ0...151&kwr_id=562

Keeps my cell phone, GoPro, Stratus and iPad charged. $9.99 each.
    Had them for 4 years no failure. Used two dual 2.4 amp chargers from Sportys; they both failed within 3 months.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-04-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using a cheap car charger to power my stratux and Nexus tablet but got noise on the radio. After looking at some ham radio operator recommendations I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using it for a year or more, no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

All 5 volt USB supplies reduce the 12 volts to 5 by switching the 12 volts off and on. This causes a square with lots of harmonics that interferes with radios and even messes up the mic audio going into my GoPro.
    The good ones have filters to get rid of the harmonics. It adds a few bucks to the cost but not $320 or so dollars worth.
    Switching power supplies generate less heat and use less power than a resistive one would.

Post Thanks / Like

why not just buy a cord and wire it into a circuit breaker, thats all we did. if the plane is running I have power. beats the hell out of a cigar plug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob.shea View Post
    why not just buy a cord and wire it into a circuit breaker, thats all we did. if the plane is running I have power. beats the hell out of a cigar plug
    I've considered this, but I doubt I could get my IA to sign off on it. I'll ask him the next chance I get.

Post Thanks / Like

He might. Mine liked the direct cord. That way he knew exactly what power demand is. But then he is vary old world. Vary realistic about things

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post
    I've considered this, but I doubt I could get my IA to sign off on it. I'll ask him the next chance I get.
    He better say no:

Deep into the following reference that was previously submitted relative to this or a real close equivalent issue answers the question of the wiring of OTS portable components to the aircraft electrical system. Bottom line is that it has to be readily able to be disconnected from the aircraft electrical system. That means the USB adapter, not just your cable from the box to the USB adapter, that means the USB adapter has to be readily dis-connectable.:

Relative to the issue of the TSO USB adapter, the receiving a TSO Authorization is not an approval to install and use the article in the aircraft. It means that the article meets the specific TSO and the applicant is authorized to manufacture it. This would require an FAA 337 to document the installation.

A commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) electronic hardware device that is not approved or certified by the FAA can be authorized for use by a principal operations inspector if it meets the EFB criteria discussed in FSIMS, volume 4, chapter 15, section 1 and AC 120-76A.
    (This is not us). This is us. For part 91 operators other than 91K, FAA authorization for use of an EFB is not required. However, installation and airworthiness requirements specified in AC 120-76A are still applicable.
    Last edited by Homer Landreth; 06-05-2017 at 10:03 AM.