Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 160-180 hp Pacer on Floats

Post Thanks / Like

Default 160-180 hp Pacer on Floats

Hello shortwingpiper folks,

New member to the forum here looking for further advice on floated 160-180 hp Pacers. I've done a good bit of digging on the forums and spoken with Trimmer, Svennison, Lee, and Rubbert, and after running out of search queries to put into the forum search, I'm asking here for any more input I can find
    I'm looking for an aircraft that strikes the balance between an economical float training platform as well as a scenic sightseeing aircraft that could carry two individuals besides the pilot. A few aircraft types have come up, and the Pacer with the 160 or 180 hp, squared wings, long prop, vg's etc keeps coming to the top of the list. I know others have proven the Pacer a capable trainer, but I'm wondering about plane's ability to carry three individuals with a reduced fuel load. I've spent some time in the back seat of a Pacer, but at 5'6" and 155 lbs, there aren't many planes I find uncomfortable.

If there are any Pacer folks in the northeastern reaches of Minnesota, connecting would be great.
    Thank you in advance for any information you can offer or threads I may have missed.

Safe flying!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 160-180 hp Pacer on Floats

There is a perfect match for your ideas a bushmaster on floats . There is one for sale here in kenai. A absolutely beautiful bird. Always on floats. Has never been on wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can carry 3 people and full fuel in a Pacer unless the 3 are really big.

Post Thanks / Like

A few notes about flying a shortwing on floats.- needs the Edo 2000
    -82/42 prop
    -160 is best
    -180 gets nose heavy with the big Pawnee prop on it
    -TCDS says 1950 gross and 3place on Edo 2000
    - myself I consider the shortwing on floats a 2 person aircraft. At gross it will take skill and finnes to get her off the water with less then 5 knots of wind and over 78f temp and you will need 3500 feet in front of you. It took about 300 hours for me to really get it. I fly about 100 hours on mine a summer and it always seems I've got it dialed in about the time I'm taking her out of the water.
    Half fuel and two on the same warm calm day and I'm off 1200 feet, say 10-12 alligators, light I can pop her off in 6-7.
    -she lands fast so don't land downwind ever and keep an extra 50lbs in the back if you are solo playing on glassy water; she will get on the front of the floats quicker then poo and it gets scary.
    -recommend some training "in type" learning the hard way isn't really the smartest but that's how I did it. Tells you something about me.

Search my posts for lots of good Trip float Tips. Thinking I've answered most of the questions on this forum over the years but I'm sure there are others.

Rocket

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    A few notes about flying a shortwing on floats.- needs the Edo 2000
    -82/42 prop
    -160 is best
    -180 gets nose heavy with the big Pawnee prop on it
    -TCDS says 1950 gross and 3place on Edo 2000
    - myself I consider the shortwing on floats a 2 person aircraft. At gross it will take skill and finnes to get her off the water with less then 5 knots of wind and over 78f temp and you will need 3500 feet in front of you. It took about 300 hours for me to really get it. I fly about 100 hours on mine a summer and it always seems I've got it dialed in about the time I'm taking her out of the water.
    Half fuel and two on the same warm calm day and I'm off 1200 feet, say 10-12 alligators, light I can pop her off in 6-7.
    -she lands fast so don't land downwind ever and keep an extra 50lbs in the back if you are solo playing on glassy water; she will get on the front of the floats quicker then poo and it gets scary.
    -recommend some training "in type" learning the hard way isn't really the smartest but that's how I did it. Tells you something about me.

Search my posts for lots of good Trip float Tips. Thinking I've answered most of the questions on this forum over the years but I'm sure there are others.

Rocket
    Being Float plane owner for 5 years and 200 hrs plus on floats all second everything Rocket said. I have drastically reduced some of the above numbers with a straight pipe exhaust system made by Vetterman, but sadly falls under experimental category. Maybe Power Flow would be equivalent or even better.

But I can tell you from personal experience, the 172 180hp with Cap 2000 (which is the same as EDO 2000) performs on exactly like a Pa22 Stock 150hp no mods. Makes a good two seater. Cruises around 100mph. Are 172 with two souls on board with 180hp on calm day chewed up easy 3000' of water before it would consider lifting.

Cheers
    Jared
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 06-05-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eskflyer View Post
    There is a perfect match for your ideas a bushmaster on floats . There is one for sale here in kenai. A absolutely beautiful bird. Always on floats. Has never been on wheels.
    I've looked into the Bushmaster and Producer airframes, but if I understand the modification correctly, the Pacer gross weight is still in effect--which could cause some problems if operating commercially. I spoke with the owner of the plane you mentioned in kenai, if we're talking about the same individual.
    Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

AHHHH commercial ops are a total diff ball game.. And yes it is the same one.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add that I have the booster wing tip STC and I run a gutless can with a 4 inch outlet.

Oh ya, we don't realy see a lot of windless days and over 75f in our western AK summers.

Not on floats yet, have some family coming up and want to hit the beaches first and visit some walrus down at Cape Greg. Photo is a few weeks ago at the Talkeetna village strip after a good six months of mostly cosmetic "Rocket Love"

Rocket

VillTrip.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking rig. Any other modifications to the wings? I've been researching two pacers: one in the town next door to me with floats, skis, x-wind stol, tired 150 hp 0-320 and really tired fabric; and one a wee bit farther west with booster wing tips, newer fabric, 160 hp, updated panel, but has never seen floats or skis.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    Nice looking rig. Any other modifications to the wings? I've been researching two pacers: one in the town next door to me with floats, skis, x-wind stol, tired 150 hp 0-320 and really tired fabric; and one a wee bit farther west with booster wing tips, newer fabric, 160 hp, updated panel, but has never seen floats or skis.
    Here is a picure of my float plane! As I mentioned performs well for what they are. I have so far gotten 15 hrs since i put in the water couple weeks ago. I went flying last Wednesday to pick a friend up and fly him to Flin Flon then back to LanRonge then finally home. Was a long day 7 hrs of straight flying and three stops ��. They burn around 9GPH including to my EI Fuel Flow.

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_0041.jpg

Video of a Takeoff in about 75 degrees calm wind, at GROSS!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h1RWVSgxTfY
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 06-05-2017 at 01:59 PM.