Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Early PA-22 question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Early PA-22 question

I have a 51 PA-22 serial 347. My nose wheel steering push rods had female rod end bearings on them. The pushrod ended in a 1/4-28 stud that the female rod end screwed on to.

I wonder if my pushrods had been modified at some time in the past or if the early planes were different than the later ones.

The parts manual shows only one push rod for all serial numbers and a male rod end bearing, (M34-14M)

This cost me more bucks while installing the toe brake conversion.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Early PA-22 question

here are the two different styles. tan is early 1 to 3387. black is 3218 and 3387 and up in serial numbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is a web album of pictures I took of Cathy's steering arms that I replaced with new ones from Univair. Had an issue where the original eye bolt would not go far enough in. They had not cleaned the welds so I had to modify a tap to do it myself.
    https://goo.gl/photos/hJuZJuF9ALaLjhhY7

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The early airplanes, serial numbers in the Parts catalog) use a steering rod part number 13107-00 which used a rod end fore and aft. Later serial numbers used steering rod 14679-00 which just a had a rod end on the aft end. I have the Williams toe brake kit for Cathy's Tri-Pacer but have yet to install them and see how the new steering rods that Pete sent fit her earlier airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to do some heating and bending to Pete's right hand rod. The left seems OK. I have to get my engine hoist out and lift the nose wheel off the ground to insure the rods move freely without binding yet.
    I managed to come up with a hernia which will be repaired Monday. So further progress will be delayed a bit.

I decided to do the mod because if I meet another plane or obstruction on one of our taxiways I'd have to get out and use the tow bar to turn around. I think the tow bar option would have been easier.