Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Analysis question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Analysis question

Here's a copy of my latest oil analysis report. I don't have a clue as to how to read these. We were worried about the increasing Iron component but they marked our latest sample as "Normal". However, I'm confused why with an Iron number of 70 when previous samples were marked High with a number as low as 47. Maybe it's because less hours on this oil???

Anyone know how to read these "tea leaves" and let me know what we're looking at?

sample.jpg
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Analysis question

The '14 sample seems to be low due to less hours and the opposite for the July '16 sample. The lack of "high" indication on the most recent could possibly be due to the content dropping since the last sample. We had similar levels before a recent overhaul and the iron was from a bad cam lobe and associated tappets. I believe we were at close to 100ppm with 40-50 hours each oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Analysis question

It's not an exact method by any means, but I divided my sample and the average samples by the number of hours on the oil to try and get a better idea of what was going on.

My AL and FE are 27 and 74 on a 51 hr sample, if that gives you another data point. Came back as normal as well, assumed higher due to some periods of inactivity.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Analysis question

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    It's not an exact method by any means, but I divided my sample and the average samples by the number of hours on the oil to try and get a better idea of what was going on.

My AL and FE are 27 and 74 on a 51 hr sample, if that gives you another data point. Came back as normal as well, assumed higher due to some periods of inactivity.

This is what our "bad" left engine looked like pre-overhaul with a bad cam. And there was generally quite a bit of flying for the engine in this timeframe, but some inactivity before the first sample. (A couple of months at most)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk