Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polyfiber or dope?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Polyfiber or dope?

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    It was in 2006 that polyfiber STC changed such that only 3 top coatings were approved - polytone, aerothane and ranthane. Prior to 2006, the STC specified coats up to and including silver, but choice of topcoats was left to the individual. This would make your application legal if it occurred prior to 2006 - for a certificated aircraft. My understanding [IMBWrong] is that experimental can do what you like.

I take it, you don't like the color?
    Or after that date you quote the old revision of the procedures manual. That is how Cub Crafters gets by with using PPG paint on top of Polyfiber. the owner of Polyfiber, Jon Goldenbaum, told me the only way he could make that illegal was to issue an Airworthiness Directive against the old manual and was not going to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

That is an excellent point! I had a disagreement with an IA regarding whether a previous revision STC could be written in a log. I had not thought of cubcrafters, etc but I was sure it was done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    It was in 2006 that polyfiber STC changed such that only 3 top coatings were approved - polytone, aerothane and ranthane. Prior to 2006, the STC specified coats up to and including silver, but choice of topcoats was left to the individual. This would make your application legal if it occurred prior to 2006 - for a certificated aircraft. My understanding [IMBWrong] is that experimental can do what you like.

I take it, you don't like the color?
    Being essentially a 'dope' man, I haven't much background knowledge about polyfiber, so your information is really useful, thanks.

My project is a 50+ year old Piel Emeraude that I've owned for a few years. It looks fine on top, but underneath is tatty and badly stained, so could do with some (OK, lots of) refurbishment. Our authorities have determined in their wisdom that all primary control cables made with swaged terminals over 15 years old must be replaced, with some ifs and buts. To refit new cables, I'm going to have to cut some more inspection holes under the wings and fuselage to get access to the turnbuckles, so I might as well go the whole hog and respray all the under surfaces at the same time as cutting the holes. What with, is the issue.
    The aircraft is the oldest home built on the Australian civil register. Back then, we didn't have 'experimental', it was called ABAA, and the aircraft had to be built to the same rules as a certified aircraft, test flown by an official guvmint test pilot (the spinning tests are interesting reading) etc. It had to be maintained and operated like a certified aircraft, and the only limitation being that it couldn't be used for hire or reward.
    Our Acro Sport II was one of the last built under that system before experimental was introduced.
    With both of them, I need to follow the rules, as even though they are hombuilt, they are not really experimental. It's just easier to say that most of the time.
    Fortunately, both the Pacer and Acro Sport have nicopress style cable fittings, so they aren't affected by the AD.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a very interesting explanation with lots of information I never knew so thanks for sharing it/

Good luck with all of that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can glue those inspection rings onto the existing finish with Stewarts glue where Super Seam or PolyTac require going to raw fabric and will melt the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

There are quite a few Piel Emeraudes here in UK. Around 40 of different types.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got to fly the CAP10C quite a bit a few years ago. Actually got to deliver it to Oshkosh for the CAP factory. I believe it evolved from the Emraude, the controller at OSH called me an Emraude. Nice flying airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, ours was one of the first fitted with 100 leaping horsepower. The Emeraude went through a number of stretches, power increases, etc. and eventually morphed into the CAP10/20 etc. Absolutely beautiful just to pole around the sky on a nice day.
    We use the Acro Sport II for yanking and banking, and the Pacer for touring, so we have all bases covered. Someone has to do it.
    It's a first world problem, I'm told!