Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clyde smith seminar

Post Thanks / Like

Default clyde smith seminar

Found out yesterday there will be a Clyde Smith seminar near me in October in Weedsport NY. Anybody been to one and was it worth it? Don't know what he could speak about for 3 days but he is the authority on fabric Pipers. Fri-Sun Oct. 27 28 29
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: clyde smith seminar

Frank,

Which seminar is this, the basic or advanced? I attended the advanced seminar a couple of years ago at Lockhaven and it was worth every penny I paid. Working in his shop with all of his resources answered every question I had and was able to make parts for my plane while I was there. We also got to see his Clipper project and if memory serves me correctly it is S/N 1 that his dad test flew. I would consider going to another one of his seminars.

Just my two cents worth!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I have attended Clyde's basic course at Univair and the advance course at Lock Haven (I was a class of one last December) I came away from the basic course with 30 plus pages of notes and did a lot of hands on at his shop. Money and time well spent in my opinion.

I have a Vagabond project in Nebraska and hoping we might be able to set something up in the Midwest soon.
    Last edited by kwingram; 06-27-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Standard, whatever that means. Pretty much decided to go.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Standard is the general information about the fabric Pipers, but if you have any questions about your plane that you want to know, just ask Clyde he is a great guy and has a lot of information.

Post Thanks / Like

I attended Clyde's very first short wing seminar in 1996 at Alexander Aeroplane in Griffen, GA. Learned a lot and meeting Clyde and spending time with him was great. My Clyde Smith sheepskin hanging in my workshop office is a badge of honor for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I took Clyde's basic seminar in November 2013 in Lock Haven......like taking a sip from a fire hose, lots of good info on fabric Pipers. Definitely worth the price admission. I thinking of taking it again.
    From a Card Carrying Tri Pacer Junkie

Post Thanks / Like

I just returned from the 2017 basic seminar held at Univair. It was well worth the cost and highly recommended. I learned a lot about the piper aircraft we love and the history of the aircraft and company. Too short. Looking forward to the advanced class.

Post Thanks / Like

Learn more about Piper Aircraft get a used copy of "Mr. Piper and His Cubs" by Devon Francis. Get the Paperback copy because Bill Piper, Jr. wrote the last chapter. Well written book about Piper Aircraft, the Piper Family, Lock Haven and General Aviation from the 40s, 50s, 60s and the 70s. I need to take time and read it again......yea, I thought it was that good. OH, did I mention I was a Piper, Tri Pacer Junkie.

Post Thanks / Like

Signed up for Weedsport. I read that book long ago, have to see if I can find it and brush up on it before the seminar.
    -Super Stub-