Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What's causing new vibration?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's causing new vibration?

I fly a 1954 PA-22-135. Since the annual a couple of months ago, there has been a noticeable increase in vibration, to the point that the compass is jittering around and my iPad mounted on the yoke is shaking.

The annual was pretty much plain vanilla, but we did install a new muffler. I'm taking it back to the annual A&P for him to check, but I need some advice as to what could be causing it before we meet again.

The vibration could be unrelated to the annual but I noticed it as soon as I took off after the inspection.

What are your thoughts?

William Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's causing new vibration?

I know of several piper owners who are A&Ps, who when they do an annual, remove the prop and unbolt the cowling at the rear and pull it off as one unit. I once had the prop and front nose cone cowling off to do alternator belt replacement and put prop back on 180 degrees off my initial markings, Vibrations at 2,000 rpms and more in flight. Around the pattern and back to hanger, prop off , 180 degrees back to original settings, end of vibration. Had mags rebuilt, A&P took them off, sent to mag shop, he replaced and timed them. After several hours, drop between mags started to increase. One mag was not torqued tight and had moved. I rest set the mag timing and torqued it tight.

Bob 1952 Pa-22

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with bob if the prop was taken off that is the first place I would look.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. The prop wasn't taken off. Is it possible that snugging up a new muffler would cause this?

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a vibration problem recently
    Turned out to be a broken valve spring.I found it by turning the prop backwards and found no compression on one cylinder

Another thought- are all the spark plug leads correct and tight...

Post Thanks / Like

have them check the muffler system and tailpipe etc to make sure the new installation isn't hitting the motor mount. Sometimes the new stuff is just that much different and there isn't much clearance in those areas.
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As stated above, I would look the exhaust system over and see if something is rubbing on the cowling, firewall or engine mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBruce View Post
    Thanks guys. The prop wasn't taken off. Is it possible that snugging up a new muffler would cause this?
    William, was just curious. Did you ever find out what was causing the vibration?

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute

Post Thanks / Like

Were the engine mounts replaced?

There will be a noticeable “difference” in vibration frequency when engine mounts are replaced....

- Vern

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org