Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Fuel Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Right Fuel Tank

Does anyone know why flight with the Right Fuel tank selected is limited to Level Flight only on the PA-22 108?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Right Fuel Tank

Quote Originally Posted by marcooti View Post
    Does anyone know why flight with the Right Fuel tank selected is limited to Level Flight only on the PA-22 108?
    Right tank fuel line routing... the routing under the door and then back up and across the panel can make the fuel stop flowing at certain nose attitudes... especially with low fuel and nose up... Trimmers fuel system eliminates the restriction due to the lines being re-routed under the seat...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered why the Tri-Pacer placard limits the right tank to "no take-off" below 1/3 tank, but the Colt right tank is restricted to level flight regardless of tank level.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure is exciting taking off on the right tank when you think it's better than a 1/3 from empty.....That blurry thing up front becomes quite visible due to it being stationary.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The right tank on a Colt was an option. Standard procedure was left tank for all operations and right was an aux tank for level flight.

Post Thanks / Like

And starve for fuel it will... I have a new PA22-150 but trained in 172s. I made the mistake of attempting a low approach with just under 6 gallons in the right tank this spring.

Relatively slow flight for the majority of the 2500' runway then entered a climb after the runway was up. I got about 50-60' off the ground and 200' past the end of the runway when the engine starved.

Lucky for me the field ahead was clear for a short distance. I managed to get nose down and flair in the nick of time. If that engine would have run another 5-10 seconds, you would have read about it in the newspaper.

It cost me a bungee replacement (and a new pair of shorts), but was a very valuable lesson. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Since then, I always take-off and land left tank only!

P.s. I understand that the Maule fuel selector STC will remedy this design issue.

Post Thanks / Like

She would have fired right back up if you switched to the left tank and you could have continued climbing... whenever the engine quits my left hand is trained to flip the selector valve without even thinking about it.. also to relax backpressure and let the nose lower to glide attitude/speed. Once you turn the selector valve to the left tank she is running again wide open in 1 second. The most Ive ever experienced is 3 seconds maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Saskatchewanderer;10251

P.s. I understand that the Maule fuel selector STC will remedy this design issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

If it is in the both or left position, obviously.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatchewanderer View Post
    And starve for fuel it will... I have a new PA22-150 but trained in 172s. I made the mistake of attempting a low approach with just under 6 gallons in the right tank this spring.

Relatively slow flight for the majority of the 2500' runway then entered a climb after the runway was up. I got about 50-60' off the ground and 200' past the end of the runway when the engine starved.

Lucky for me the field ahead was clear for a short distance. I managed to get nose down and flair in the nick of time. If that engine would have run another 5-10 seconds, you would have read about it in the newspaper.

It cost me a bungee replacement (and a new pair of shorts), but was a very valuable lesson. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Since then, I always take-off and land left tank only!

So thats what happened?? Sure love it how people around here were hushed hushed and wouldn't tell me a damn thing. Thats ok, I don't share my knowledge very much around Candle anymore jut gets ones ass bitten off. Glad your ok and the plane is. Your welcome for the Bunggee tool btw.
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 07-30-2017 at 09:41 PM.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    If it is in the both or left position, obviously.
    Stephan I was under the impression, you have to be careful, with the fuel being on Both with the Right Tank being below 1/3 with the Maule Selector. (Could be wrong here) I have never personally had issues with the Right Tank. But I also never banked it steep below 1/3 Gallons. I have Takeoff and Landed in many Tripacers with the Right Tank with no issues. Just don't get wild on climbs or turns or below a 1/3