Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive brake effort

Post Thanks / Like

Default Excessive brake effort

It may be just me and a lack of experience. But, it seems like a half to push excessively hard on the brakes to hold the plane on runup. Cleveland double puck, Trimmer conversion toe brake setup with the matco master cylinders. And of course 31" bushwheels, but I still feel with the double pucks it shouldn't require this much effort.

What is everyone else's experience?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Excessive brake effort

What is the size of the cylinder on the Matco cylinder vs. the others? Silicone spray on the torque plate pins of the calipers?

Post Thanks / Like

5/8" dia. master cylinder. Guide pins might be due for spraying, but the whole setup is only a year and a half old. It's been this way the whole time I just decided that I should find out if it's normal or not.
    I'm thinking that if it is more excessive than usual that it could be the geometry in Eddie's pedal setup.
    Then again it could be totally normal for big tires, only other experience I've got is in c-150's and c-172's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Pacer on 29" ABWs did fine with double pucks and the Univair brake setup. I got the tail up on my Clipper twice with double pucks and stock master cylinders. I mellowed on the brakes after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... I've really gotta be standing on them to raise the tail.
    I'll have to find a picture of the masters and pedal on the stick vs. the Univair vs. Trimmers.
    Of course if someone was around that could go for a ride and say "yep that's normal" it would save a lot of grief and aggravation.

Most likely I'm over thinking it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The stock pacer tail is hard to blow up. It will come right up of you put a cub tail on it.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Mine needs adjusted, I have to hold one hard and one soft

Post Thanks / Like

My brakes were pretty weak also. I could not do a run-up with the parking brake set. I had to hold them very hard. My calipers (cleveland single puck) had aluminum shims between the puck and the inboard brake pad plate and a shim between the outboard pad & caliper. I couldn't find any reason I needed the shims so I removed them and now the brakes hold very good. I can do a full power run-up with less force. I think those shims were for shimming the brake pads outboard for when the wheel pants plates were installed.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McDaver63 View Post
    My brakes were pretty weak also. I could not do a run-up with the parking brake set. I had to hold them very hard. My calipers (cleveland single puck) had aluminum shims between the puck and the inboard brake pad plate and a shim between the outboard pad & caliper. I couldn't find any reason I needed the shims so I removed them and now the brakes hold very good. I can do a full power run-up with less force. I think those shims were for shimming the brake pads outboard for when the wheel pants plates were installed.
    Hmmm. Mine have the double puck, but where brand new and I just threw them on without really looking. Next time I'm at the hangar I'll look to see if there are shims or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did you break the pads in like they suggest? I couple of hard braking actions to get them hot and then allow them to cool.