Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

piperrocks2013

Default Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

I got a surprise from my lady when I found out last month she bought me a ticket from Saskatoon Saskatchewan to Anchorage Alaska to go visit and do some additional tail wheel training that was required for me to get full hull insurance. For the love of me I couldn't find anyone competent in my neck of the woods. Anyhow I have been friends with Don for a few years and it was time for me to pay him a visit. Got to Anchorage on August 6 and departed for Talkeetna early morning August 7. I arrived at the lodge around 11am and got settled in. Once I was settled in Don himself took me to the airport where I would meet John my instructor for my Bush course/ tailwheel check ride. John took me flying into the Denial mountains where I would learn more about reading winds, clouds etc etc. afterwards he threw me into the fire and got me to land in Talkeetna little runway inside the town afterwards we headed home. Did very that day. Next day we continued landing on several gravel strips less then 1200' and as wide as the gear accomplishing a few circuits so I would get comfortable. Afterwards we did some gravel bar landings, two highway landings following a landing in the Thundra!! Afterwards I was checked out for what I needed. The next day Don taken me up himself as I requested wanted to see his shelter he built on a glacier. Gabby also asked if she could come. What learning curve to land on wheels on a glacier! Anyhow got to check out his cabin. After all that flying I got to go for a ride in Breezy!! For next couple days I helped Don with the planes and did some advanced float flying with the 180hp Constant Speed. Disappointed as Don told me. Not the performer to be expected. Heavy Controls, climb and takeoff run wasn't much better if at all. Just the cruise was improved by 20 mph on floats. After the whole week took a flight in a tri-Pacer back to Anchorage. I sit here in Seattle waiting for my next plane to Vancouver - Saskatoon. When I get home all post some pictures of my new bird.

Hooe everyone is having fun

Jared

IMG_0084.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 08-12-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

Great report!! The red pacer 57D is the plane I learned to fly in, she is a great bird.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

J,
    WTF... all the way out here and you didn't mention to any of us locals you were coming? I was in Talk those days!
    Black tripacer at parked at Shelden's...

Rocket

ps going to be in Saint Casimir, Quebec November 3rd if it is anywhere near you

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    J,
    WTF... all the way out here and you didn't mention to any of us locals you were coming? I was in Talk those days!
    Black tripacer at parked at Shelden's...

Rocket

ps going to be in Saint Casimir, Quebec November 3rd if it is anywhere near you
    Rocket, i did mention but sadly on Facebook. No worries, man, I'm going back in the spring time to help a friend out and explore the country more. I have never loved a place as much as Alaska. Was truly sad to leave. So reminds me when i was kid raised in the north.

Keep in touch buddy
    Jared

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like way too much fun.

piperrocks2013

Cool Re: Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Looks like way too much fun.
    I agree felt so bad for all my Canadian Friends.....

Second Thought Nahhhhhh.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures! I'm ready to go back to Talkeena.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Very Cool report and pictures.

Thanks Piperrocks!

Post Thanks / Like

About five years ago I decided to start looking around for a new part of Alaska to play and work in. A couple years ago I had narrowed it down to Homer with Talkeetna as a close second. I am on my 21st year out here in the Bristol Bay and circumstances have led me to Talkeetna. I've been packing the hanger up and will start shipping pallets of equipment this week. I still need to sell my place on the airport but I am out on October 1st!

Like any part of this state there is a lifetime of flying out of any one place. Looking forward to the next part of my flying adventure although I am not sure yet what its going to look like. I have checked a lot of bush flying boxes, both the good and bad, and thinking about more winter snow yet nicer summers then we have out west and all that opportunity...

The new place is right on the Village strip so give me a shout the next time you make it up.

Rocket

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    About five years ago I decided to start looking around for a new part of Alaska to play and work in. A couple years ago I had narrowed it down to Homer with Talkeetna as a close second. I am on my 21st year out here in the Bristol Bay and circumstances have led me to Talkeetna. I've been packing the hanger up and will start shipping pallets of equipment this week. I still need to sell my place on the airport but I am out on October 1st!

Like any part of this state there is a lifetime of flying out of any one place. Looking forward to the next part of my flying adventure although I am not sure yet what its going to look like. I have checked a lot of bush flying boxes, both the good and bad, and thinking about more winter snow yet nicer summers then we have out west and all that opportunity...

The new place is right on the Village strip so give me a shout the next time you make it up.

Rocket
    wow!! Rocket I was practising on the town strip. See you in March!