Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

piperrocks2013

Default Re: Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Nice!

We did the Herc strip for a BBQ a couple days before the Hudson flyin last year. I brought bacon wrapped moose burgers but my buddy forgot the charcoal briquets. burned up some alder and spruce for a bed of coals and did just fine. Later we took a walk through those trailers and there was a 45 lb bag of them. We got a chuckle out of that.

Took a hike down to the river and about half way there was this old rubber boot laying there that looked like it had been there since the '60s but it had this odd marking that looked like a propeller in red on it... made our way down the trial to the river and right there was a bunch of rocks with the same propeller like design on them. My buddies lady friend being smarter then us pilots says, hay isn't there a fly out scavenger hunt in a couple days? More chuckle! The group of us and a couple other friends cooked hundreds of pancakes and scrambled eggs at the fly in that morning so we missed the scavenger hunt.

I'm the big one in the middle who does not need a whole bag of Doretos to himself.

Attachment 12352
    Good afternoon Rocket, for a Saskatchewan guy its really neat and honourable to have had the privilege landing on some of these sites you pros land on a regular basis. Yes I know what your talking about the trailer. Went and checked it out also, including the shed beside it. By some chance that BBQ outside you guys used??

Cheers
    Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have coordinates for the Herc strip? it is a great training strip, sorta narrow, with enough hazards to make it real, and long enough so that's not an issue.
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 08-20-2017 at 07:26 AM.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Does anyone have coordinates for the Herc strip? it is a great training strip, sorta narrow, with enough hazards to make it real, and long enough so that's not an issue.
    Here it is Clayton.

Juat in case you can't see the picture

62.386500N
    151.069818W
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 08-20-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh now you've done it. Now verone will know where it is

there are are a number of these strips throughout the state built during the early days of oil exploration. There are a couple out here also.

This is one is called Fort Jenson and it has an abandoned lodge on it. There is another one west of us on the 'pacific side' but I have never landed it. I know the brown bear hunters land there though.

image.jpg

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Oh now you've done it. Now verone will know where it is
    Didnt want you eatting those Doritos all alone!!

Post Thanks / Like

I reply to this old thread.

I would like to spend (one day, I hope...) a few days in Alaska in the Don Lee School.
    Some of you have recent experieces?

Thank you.

Alex.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex,

One of the perks of my job is getting paid to go to Alaska on a semi regular basis.
    If you have to pay to get there I would say that would be worth every penny.
    And if it is not on your bucket list it should be. Close to the top.

Good luck,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Alex,

One of the perks of my job is getting paid to go to Alaska on a semi regular basis.
    If you have to pay to get there I would say that would be worth every penny.
    And if it is not on your bucket list it should be. Close to the top.

Good luck,

Rick
    Thank you for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

A,I live here in Talkeetna right on the grass strip and know Don is still doing his float, ski, mountain, and bush training in both pa20 and pa22 aircraft.

I sold my Tripacer to one of his pilots last year after being crippled by a moose and still not able to fly. I've seen bits of my black bird here and there on his aircraft

On the other thread where you were talking about landing speeds, the flair, etc, I was thinking you need to go flying with a thousand hour Tripacer pilot, without the Covid and with two good feet I would have flown to Italy just cause!!

A lot of options and ALASKA is a huge state, with a month you can't see it all, two weeks stay at a minimum and be prepared to have some weather days. The days are vary long of course. Do some pre planing to negate the jet lag effects so as not waste a few days.

Send me a PM for my contact info and I'll answer any questions, ask them here, or better yet start your own travel thread when the time comes.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

I would bet real money that a week in Alaska with Rocket as your guide would be a lot of fun.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"