Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trip to Alaska Floats & Skis (Don Lee)

Rocket, my mapping ability is not great but looks like bristol bay is out west "toward Moyle in Platinum"????
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Alaska is big, bigger then most imagine even. Master Moyle is 180 miles west of 5NK my home airport. I've run parts up to Mark a handful of times. It's a more wild edge of the world kind of place of unimaganble beauty. The flight is always different mostly because of the weather so one day it's a coastal trip another mountains snow rain fog double rainbows and the occasional ray of sunlight

image.jpg

Ha note it's IFR at Platnum!
    Last edited by rocket; 08-14-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Ifr

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to AK F&S five times. Each visit was better than the last. It is wonderful to see someone else show the joy of having been there. My friend Larry Gourley and I are planning another trip around the first of May. We are going for the Airman's show and the STOL competition at Valdez.

Post Thanks / Like

Now see Jared if you'd have said you where coming up I could have taken you fishing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JPerkins; 08-15-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's not for fishing, thems for catching!
    Im not in the habit of posting my fish tales or photoes for obvious reasons. Silvers are on now but I like to hear out to a couple spots to snag a couple Arctic char mostly cause I can...

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    I've been to AK F&S five times. Each visit was better than the last. It is wonderful to see someone else show the joy of having been there. My friend Larry Gourley and I are planning another trip around the first of May. We are going for the Airman's show and the STOL competition at Valdez.
    Also made bunch of new friends. Clayton in my neck of the woods its hard to make friends. If you are not rich, don't fly 180, your really just nobody. Aviation has died lots here in Saskatchewan. Alberta other provinces seem to be doing well. That Said it really looks like Ontario is fighting for there airports, Engineers are scared to sign anything off as there is law suit after law suit. Hell I couldn't even find good tail wheel instructor in Western Canada that I could trust. Why went to Alaska.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Jared,
    Did you bake a pizza in the brick oven?

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Jared,
    Did you bake a pizza in the brick oven?
    My first day!!! Learned how to make Pizza in the Pizza oven. Actually started the fire for it and helped Don around the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    I've been packing the hanger up and will start shipping pallets of equipment this week. I still need to sell my place on the airport but I am out on October 1st!

Rocket
    Dang....not on the road system moving is like...like...Air freight or.....How many 20' shipping containers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

HA! estimated 87 tripacer loads, the big/long stuff strapped to the spreader bars Not all that much once its consolidated. backhaul freight is less then 50 cents a pound, still cheaper then buying new in town so Ace or Everts. Only thing I cant take are float trailers and all the paint/chemicals (hazmat).

I have not figured out how to keep a floatplane in Talkeetna not having a place on the water. Just the other day was joking with a couple locals how I should ask Don if I could trade parking and he could use the Batplane when he had too many of you outsiders to teach Think I better call!

A number of years ago I put together a business plan to do something similar to Don's myself but the economy tanked and I decided to stick with wrenching knowing I would always eat if anything.

i have already had a few offers to wrench up there so i know I wont be bored.

Rocket