Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jtex83 restoration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jtex83 restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtex View Post
    Got a quit a bit done through out the week. Trying to take lots of pictures. Had my 7 year old helping me take the control column and rudder pedals out today wish I would have gotten a pic if that. Any how here's an update picture. [ATTACH=CONFIG]12353
    Reminds me of the time my son and daughter were disassembling a Tri-Pacer and my son moved too far forward and the whole thing when up on the firewall.

Post Thanks / Like

She's stripped. Just gotta pull the gear and the flap handle.
    20170820_194054.jpg
    Lol Steve, last weekend my son and his friend were playing in it without the tail stand. Lucky I hadn't taken the tail tied own off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just realize how easy and fun it is to take it apart. Lots of work to start the other direction. Can't wait to follow the progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's the money on the other side that's gonna be slow going. The fast progress has nearly ended. Next weekend I hope to clean the longerons by the batt and start inspecting tubing. It's going to be a bit before I can get the fuselage media blasted. I gotta make the decision on whether or not to go tail wheel too. Oh well it's only money.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the first of the sheet metal off around the rear door structer. Don't think there's any pitting and it's all solid when I pressed on it with an awl. Guess well see what the others look like.
    I left little bits of the welds on the tube to help line up the sheet metal when it goes back on. Do yall use the doors to help line up the sheet metal as well? I know one of my doors needs some tubing replaced. Also for any of yall in North or west texas is there any where to get tubing? None of the metal suppliers in abilene sell 4130.
    20170826_192435.jpg20170826_192256.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks really good. I have a buddy get me long lengths of tubing from Air Tractor if I have a big repair job or order from Aircraft Spruce if I don't need the long lengths. Let me know what you need, I us ally have a lot on hand.

I use the doors to help align just don't make them too tight, the frames do flex when the engine is installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I have any large amounts to replace. There is a tube above the front seat that has a pretty crappy patch on it where the u channel is attached. Im going to spice in a new section there so I don't have to look at it when I do the sky light.

Post Thanks / Like

My fuselage looked about like yours when I yanked the tin. Sandblasted and only came up with one hole at the bottom rear of the rear door opening. Had preemptively bought the necessary tubing before I started (cause it takes so long to get stuff into Cordova) so I went ahead and replaced anything that had any roughness to it so it was all good new tubing. Thought being, I don't want to back in here in ten years to fix an "it's good enough for now".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Been busy with 14 hour days and a holiday weekend so just getting back to work. How do yall cut the sheet metal off from around the right hand door without cutting the upper door frame and affecting the position of the hole for leveling the fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very carefully cut with a cut-off wheel. It isn't theend of the world, you can level the fuselage off the other tubing. The drawing will show you what is level.