Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need New Starter

piperrocks2013

Default Re: Need New Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Tp109 View Post
    He linked the .ca spruce site, U.S.A. prices are lower. Not sure what Spruce is doing but the starter skytec you linked 122nl is $550. CAD, which converts to $450. USD
    but the 122nl is $429. on the .com spruce site, not $450. like the conversation from CAD to USD. Save $21. by ordering it on .com not .ca
    Thanks Guys, Free shipping in Canada and it gets here lot faster. Need it ASAP. Can someone jusr re confirm 122-NL is bolt on replacement no mods required on the oil cooler exception to the starter cable.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Its sounds like the hartzell is plug and play http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...clickkey=92059

and skytek needs oil brackett and cable modified, must be why hartzell is $200 more..

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    A recent experience in my hangar:
    Kelly and his PA22-160 used the Sky-Tek and had all the above mentioned challenges with cable, oil bracket, etc
    Curt and his PA22-160 used the Hartzell Lightweight and it was plug and play, weighs 9.5 lbs.
    Both planes have normal oil cooler, alternator conversion.

GG
    Did you see this? He has his original starter available.

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    I have a b&c starter on mine... good so far.

Do still have the original removed one if any interest.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tp109; 09-13-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Hartzell version installed on my Pacer a few years back. When ordering from Spruce the Aircraft Make & Model was requested. It came with one of the ears machined off that would have interfered with the oil cool bracket. Was a direct bolt-up. I have since sold the plane so cannot speak to if it is still working well.

Should have a post on here somewhere....

Tim

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by MN_flyer1 View Post
    I had a Hartzell version installed on my Pacer a few years back. When ordering from Spruce the Aircraft Make & Model was requested. It came with one of the ears machined off that would have interfered with the oil cool bracket. Was a direct bolt-up. I have since sold the plane so cannot speak to if it is still working well.

Should have a post on here somewhere....

Tim

Thanks Guys Ordered a New Sky-Tec

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Skytec installed. Had to to a little work on the bracket, had to machine off a couple of the installation bracket ears on the starter that don't apply to the PA-22. And cable had to be lengthened. All things others already said...but just to add to their comments, as I just did this a couple years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tp109 View Post
    He linked the .ca spruce site, U.S.A. prices are lower. Not sure what Spruce is doing but the starter skytec you linked 122nl is $550. CAD, which converts to $450. USD
    but the 122nl is $429. on the .com spruce site, not $450. like the conversation from CAD to USD. Save $21. by ordering it on .com not .ca
    Unfortunately duties and custom brokerage will eat up that difference in a hurry. Revenue Canada wants their cut.... mumble mumble

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really need a new starter yet, but the make offer button was on this https://m.ebay.com/itm/372045968720

I didn't expect my $250. bid would be accepted and it wasn't, so I went up to $300., he wanted $999 for it so I didn't think he would accept that either, but 10 minutes later discovered I was now it's owner. I'm not even sure if I have the 122 or 149 tooth flywheel. If this doesn't fit my O-235 I will be asking $300 + shipping next week. Says new Kelly ERZ 8012, must be before Hartzell purchased Kelly Aero (same p/n as Hartzell ERZ 8012) hope I didn't buy a 300 dollar paperweight.

I think it is the same as this Hartzell at Aircraft Spruce
    Model
    ERZ-8012

Description
    Clockwise rotation, 12 Volt, 122 tooth - 12/12 Pitch Gear

Lycoming Engine
    235, 290, 320, 360, 540

Replaces
    Lycoming 31A21210, Sky-Tec 122-NL,122-12PM, LS, Lamar PM1203, MZ-4204,-6204

PN
    07-01103

Price
    $640.00

Edit: I think it is time for a new starter, I haven't counted the flywheel teeth, can someone identify this as a 122 or 149 starter? Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 09-14-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You have to modify one arm on the oil cooler bracket for the Sky-Tec NL starter. I found the picture, I shortened the rear tube and flatten it and drilled a hole and bolted it to the starter. It normally bolt to the crankcase.
    20170412_155556.jpg

piperrocks2013

Thanks Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    You have to modify one arm on the oil cooler bracket for the Sky-Tec NL starter. I found the picture, I shortened the rear tube and flatten it and drilled a hole and bolted it to the starter. It normally bolt to the crankcase.
    20170412_155556.jpg
    Did the same thing installing this starter on a Super Cub but used the lower lug beneath the cable stud to bolt the rear arm too instead of the upper one..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk