Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAA deleting regulations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FAA deleting regulations?

I think there is always room for improvement. First thought that comes to mind is instead of 1500 hours it should be 1500 take off landing cycles, full stop kind.

The other issue of course is who is sitting on the advisory board making these recommendations to the FAA? i think our Senator Merkosky is on a couple transportation/aviation committees and has a good grasp of all our aviation needs... but they all are politicians.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

The push to soften the 1500hr rule is being entirely driven by the Regional Airline industry and by default their major partners with the money behind it. Some Regionals like Horizon are canceling hundreds of flights a month due to lack of pilots. This problem was predicted years ago by insiders and but fell on deaf ears and unwillingness to fix because it would entail increasing wages and improving the general undesirable working conditions at Regional airlines.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rocket...takeoffs and landings mean more than hours. And cross country weather flying...those hours mean more than an hour in the local area on a nice day.

But I have no idea how the airline industry should be operated. Not my area of familiarity...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The new regs. that went into affect a couple of years ago to obtain an ATP are not helping the Regionals or Majors. Cost to get an ATP once you have the hours is probably close to a half years salary for the Regional

Post Thanks / Like

I spent about 20 minutes on Lin trying to find a list of the members of this advisory committee. No joy.

anyone feel free to try. I think it's important to know who is doing the advising i.e. Follow the money.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

• From what I understand the 1500 hour rule change . It isn't about the hours requird to fly for the airlines BUT YOU MUST have an ATP or a R-ATP of which the hours and education vary.

It now takes a weeeeeeeeeee bit more than just 1500 hours to get your ATP

This rule change was brought about by Congress and not without much thought about what would happen.

The more dramatic changes in the new rule are the additional requirements that first officers possess a type rating for their aircraft and that captains have at least 1,000 hours of airline experience.

http://studentpilotnews.com/2015/03/...-pilots-guide/
      Requirements for airline first officers (SICs)

The FAA changed the rules for first officers - announcing new requirements on July 10, 2013. In short, on August 1, 2013, the FAA requires SIC's to hold an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (ATP), but the certificate may have restricted privileges. An ATP with restricted privileges requires you to:
      • Be 21 years old
      • Hold a Commercial Pilot Certificate with an Instrument Rating
      • Complete an Airline Transport Pilot Certification Training Program (ATP CTP)
      • Pass the ATP knowledge and practical test
      • And meet the flight time requirements of FAR 61.160 - roughly 1,500 hours

Before this change, SIC's only needed a Commercial Pilot Certificate - roughly 250 hours of flight time - so this is a big change. However, the FAA recognizes that great training can make up for some raw experience. They've made exceptions for pilots coming through certain training programs, allowing them to earn an ATP with restricted privileges in less time. The exceptions are:

• Military pilots need only 750 hours total flight time and 200 hours cross-country time
      • Graduates from approved four-year universities with a Bachelor's degree and an aviation major need only 1000 hours total flight time and 200 hours cross-country time if they:
        • Complete at least 60 credit hours of aviation related coursework, and
        • Hold a Commercial Pilot Certificate that was earned through the university's part 141 training program
        • If they complete less than 60 credit hours, but at least 30 credit hours, they need 1250 hours total flight time and 200 hours cross-country time

• Graduates from approved two-year colleges with an Associate's degree and an aviation major need only 1250 hours total flight time and 200 hours cross-country time if they:
        • Complete at least 30 credit hours of aviation related coursework, and
        • Hold a Commercial Pilot Certificate that was earned through the school's part 141 training program.

• Other pilots need 1500 hours total time and 200 hours cross-country time
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 09-25-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All
    slight thread creep...

Firstly let me qualify that I'm not an "ace " pilot. still have a WHOLE bunch to learn and I learn something from everyone I fly with -every time. still chasing that perfect flight...
    However I'm an Glider instructor( whatever that means) and I taken up a few ATP rated pilots who fly for a living and I'm amazed at the basic lack of stick and rudder skills: even to the state that that I have to take control because i'm way out of my comfort level and things are getting all messed up.
    I'm thinkin that somehow training should ensure that the basic skills we all learned are not lost in the journey to the ATP rating. 1500 hours...... hmmm

If this includes a 1000 hours of "system management" ...... this ain't so good- IMHO

That Scully fellow who landed in the Hudson knew how to fly.....

Post Thanks / Like

" That Scully fellow who landed in the Hudson knew how to fly....."

Yep he was a GA Glider Guy among other things.. Son does a lot of instructing in the Navy and as an O-6 Captain/Commodore he can pick what he wants to do. He will always throw in a little GA in.
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 09-25-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    The new regs. that went into affect a couple of years ago to obtain an ATP are not helping the Regionals or Majors. Cost to get an ATP once you have the hours is probably close to a half years salary for the Regional
    I think all the Regionals put you through their own ATP/CTP course now at their expense, just show up with the hours.