Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: continental now making lycoming parts

Post Thanks / Like

Default continental now making lycoming parts

I recently ran across an ad from Continental that said they were now making parts for Lycoming engines, including the O290. Has anyone heard of this and will this bring down the price of overhauling a lycoming? \

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: continental now making lycoming parts

Continental bought ECI, who made lycoming clones. It will get even cheaper when they make parts in Bejing

Post Thanks / Like

I had emailed them about the 290 series and was told that at this time they would not be making any 290 cylinders.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ask in Mandarin or Cantonese? Did you ask nicely?

Post Thanks / Like

rsguy3.....I know you were only joking, but within that joke is a very serious lesson!

In the quest for profit at any cost, how many USA companies have either sold the business or shifted manufacturing to China. When Cessna started manufacturing in China, it was only a matter of time before the component manufacturers would follow.

Australia no longer has a motor vehicle manufacturing base, "to expensive to manufacture here" despite massive subsidies.
    Ford, GMH, Toyota, Mitsubishi have all gone to cheap labour countries and with it we have lost much of our manufacturing expertise and more importantly, jobs.

So we are left with cheap chinese crap!

I worry how my grandkids will put food on the table for their kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I don't blame the Chinese for selling us what we're willing to buy. Their rocketry programs over the years show they often have a quality we rarely see through Wal Mart. No, I don't like low quality, but until we demand, and are willing to pay for the difference, we'll remain where we are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Mae View Post
    I had emailed them about the 290 series and was told that at this time they would not be making any 290 cylinders.
    Quantity is the key. Cost way to much to certify with a very small return vs. the more popular engines like the 320 and 360s which fit 540s as well.

Post Thanks / Like

So Steve, I'm pretty sure there are many, many a/c out there with the o290. I'm guessing many have 1/4 of dust or more on them. Are you saying it's a quantity problem or a popularity problem? I just think it's a supply problem. If the parts were there I'm guessing popularity would increase, also aren't the o435 jugs the same? Wouldn't that support production? If they did produce them, would they update the valve size?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you think there is a market I bet you can pay for the initial cost and they will build them for you and maybe you can get your money back but I wouldn't invest money in manufacturing parts for an O-290. There are 320, 360 and 50s everywhere but I see very few 290s anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I understand it, Lycoming decided to drop the support for the 0290 in favor of the O320. So I guess it's a supply problem as it costs too much to overhaul a 0290. Cheaper to just upgrade. Cost of jugs, rings and cams are just out of this world, because they are so hard to find anymore. I was hoping continental's manufacturing lycoming parts might lighten up the supply problem for 0290's but that apparently is not the case.
    Last edited by pistoncan; 10-14-2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling