Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: altitude encoder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default altitude encoder ?

So, according to ATC, my altitude encoder is reporting erroneously...
    I was hoping at first it was a problem with their equipment as it happened intermittently.
    However, now, they tell me every flight I am off by 10,000 ft. [Sometimes up sometimes down, not always the same 10,000 -- sometimes more, sometimes less]
    Guess I am headed for the shop.
    Any experiences, or suggestions?
    Thanks
    AL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: altitude encoder ?

I have a functioning SSD-120 being removed from my airplane for the ADS-B upgrade. At least I think it was still working, the GPS was tied to it and showed pressure altitude, my transponder had died. I'll check on it if you are interested.

However, my NEW encoder was $240 so you might want to just look that direction if yours is beyond saving.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim,
    I was hoping someone would say, "just jiggle the 30 pin connector, " or something simple.
    I had my transponder and encoder checked jun 16 just after purchasing the plane and all was well - less than 50 ft difference. Oh well, maybe I am headed for ADS-B even sooner than I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I install an ACK encoder today since my old encoder failed. The ACK is compatible with most transponders. I spliced the new plug wires onto the transponders wires. I got the pinout information online for the old encoder. It checked out fine with ATC.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Al,
    i have a AK- 350 working when removed for ADS-B. Your welcome to it , cover shipping.
    Moe

Post Thanks / Like

I got your PM, going to hanger today.
    Give me your phone number in PM and I'll call later when it's in my hands.
    moe

Post Thanks / Like

ok,
    thanks
    AL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moe2goe View Post
    Hi Al,
    i have a AK- 350 working when removed for ADS-B. Your welcome to it , cover shipping.
    Moe
    I am curious as to what you were installing for ADSB that required a only a new encoder.
    That is asked for the purposes of informing others that there is is existing installed equipment
    combinations for ADSB that DO NOT necessitate buying a new transponder and/or encoder.
    Also, if you don't mind, I think it would be interesting to hear the cost for ADSB system
    installation from those of you have done it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Homer, I installed Freeflight 978 ADS-B out only. It steals the squawk from my Kt76A via a properly placed UAT antenna within line of sight from xponder antenna but must be a certain 30 plus inches away ( memory). The encoder however needs the capability to send a digital altitude signal to the Freeflight 978 box ( via pin 7) which my encoder did not have that capability. I installed encoder ACK A-30 mod 9 ($300) to remedy. The Freeflight 978 comes with all needed except wiring and coax. (978 kit was $1995, I don't know now). The extra wiring,coax, and labor to assemble harness was about $500 . But the gov chipped in $500 via rebate, so it wasn't too bad. Moe

Post Thanks / Like

Homer,

Almost the same for me but since my KT78A was DOA I installed a GTX335. The 335 needed the digital info the SSD-120 did not provide.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member