Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Garmin WEBINAR of 10/17/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin WEBINAR of 10/17/2017

Last night GARMIN gave a much publicized WEBINAR which was titled "Low Cost ADS-B, Instruments and Avionics" I tuned in on it because it was advertised that you could ask questions. So I did. Here are a couple of my observations and comments. First, it turned out to be largely a marketing ploy. They started with the G5, and passed through all the ADSB Out and In equipment they have and then they tried to market their new Auto Pilot. So it really wasn't a tremendously viable thing to watch, but here are a couple of comments they presented and a question or two answered.

1. They started "hustling" the G5. Some interesting things.
    (1). The G5 has a version for Certified aircraft and quoting them "one for Experimental and LSA". To that I asked my usual question of
    "where in the Regs does it say specifically "Experimental and say LSA have some kind of exemption." To that they answered what
    everybody says "It is in the FARs". (Well, as stated before and admitted to by ACO persons, "It ain't there", so that was a dead issue
    and as usual unanswered.

(2). I asked "What is the difference between the "for certified aircraft" G5 and the "for LSA and Experimental aircraft" G5 ? The answer
    was "The two units are absolutely the same, there is no difference, with the "certified" version you just get the paperwork that
    certifies it as PMA/STC qualified.

(2a). So I asked this "That being the case then I would not need your STC and could install one in a certified aircraft via an FAA
    337 with you writing a letter of conformity stating what you just said (they are identical). After a long time with no answer, they
    came back and agreed that I was correct, however they stated they would not provide that letter of conformity for the purpose
    of an FAA 337 field approval of the non PMA/STC "version" into a certified plane.

(3). The G5 DOES NOT allow you to eliminate your Vacuum System. HOWEVER, a two G5 installation will allow you to eliminate your
    vacuum system.

2. All ADS-B equipment from Garmin can be purchased from a dealer and installed by any licensed A&P. The installation will have to be registered with them for warranty purposes so the installers license number is the sign off and registration requirement for warranty purposes.
    (1). They did however "market" the dealers capability to probably get it done faster than the average A&P.
    (2). They also said this" You need to get your ADS-B Installation as soon as you can because as 2020 approaches, the cost of installation is going to go through the
    roof (supply, demand, sense of urgency).
    (3). Of all the ADS-B equipment they talked about, the "off the shelf equipment purchase" lowest cost was over $ 3500.00. That being the case, a Garmin system in
    your plane will probably flirt with $ 4500.00 to $ 5,000.00.

Anyway, that is a few highlights, they have a Garmin Autopilot that is aimed at planes like ours, I didn't pay a lot of attention to that part, I was Googling the address of all the banks and Quick Trip stores I could stick up during the night to get the money for the "low cost" Garmin ADS-B equipment.
    Last edited by Homer Landreth; 10-18-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Garmin WEBINAR of 10/17/2017

" I was Googling the address of all the banks and Quick Trip stores I could stick up during the night to get the money for the "low cost" Garmin ADS-B equipment. "

Homer do you need some help picking up the money??????????

Post Thanks / Like

I laughed through the entire presentation at the enthusiasm of the marketing director. He clearly had no extensive knowledge outside the garmin propaganda. His least expensive option is not being shipped currently but they "expect" it by year's end.
    AL

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds similar to the live event I attended a few weeks ago at a local fbo. I am considering the GDL82, but also not sure how long my trusty kt76 will continue to function.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ps11-15319.php
    Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Only 4-5 k
    wanna trade? just had a quote from an avionics shop here in the great white north- North of 7k.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    Only 4-5 k
    wanna trade? just had a quote from an avionics shop here in the great white north- North of 7k.....
    I just picked up 43D after having a GTX 335 1090ES (out only) installed along with an ACK 30.9 encoder, after the rebates I was just over $4k. The IA who did the install had not done a Garmin before so that cost me a little but he also ate some of the extra time from learning the G way.

My KT-78A died again when I left for Oshkosh back in July, I was hoping to keep it going at least another year in hopes that prices would come down. Oh well, it is done now, based 8 miles from KSTL isn't much fun some times.

1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member