Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Information overload! Upgrade to 160 hp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Information overload! Upgrade to 160 hp?

Sorry for the re-post... my brain is about to explode with information overload. I am overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge and information on this site.

I am hoping to upgrade to a 160 hp lycoming from a 150. I have a pa22-135 converted to conventional with an STC'd (WagAero?) O-320 (no suffix). My A/C serial number is 1621, so I'm outside the -pa22-150 or 160 TC. Specifically, I am hoping to use a B2B or similar/compatible WD.

In my limited and humble assessment, there is no measurable alteration to the airframe, W&B, and operational airspeeds, but will require 100LL and not auto-fuel capable and certainly a prop pitch change (I have an STC'd Borer).

Does anyone know of an STC that covers this? Or can someone send me a copy of an approved 337? I've looked at the Copper River, Charlie Center, and WagAero STC's all of which specify 150 hp.

As always, thank you for your knowledge, thoughts, opinions and resources!
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Information overload! Upgrade to 160 hp?

There are stc’s for unleaded fuel in a 160 hp O-320 but you will be required to burn premium or the 94ul.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like Wag Aero has one....STC SA847EA. I looked on the FAA website for details, but couldn't find any, you'll have to give wag aero a call.

Post Thanks / Like

You could call Dee at Copper Center and find out for certain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

When you go to the O-320, 160HP do you have to have the 13 rib wing? I looked at a 135 Trip that had the 160 installed but had the 12 rib wing. Just not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    When you go to the O-320, 160HP do you have to have the 13 rib wing? I looked at a 135 Trip that had the 160 installed but had the 12 rib wing. Just not sure.
    This would depend upon the approval documentation. I had a PA-20 with 160 hp O-320 and increased gross weight that I think only had 12 ribs per side. It was done on a field approval by someone in the early to mid seventies. If it isn’t specific to a serial number that had 13 ribs or is not otherwise called out as a requirement then I don’t think 13 ribs would be a requirement.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-04-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do not know of an STC that covers the 160 hp. I would obtain a field approval which can be issued since you are not increasing the horsepower over 10%. It is also a pretty common modification on Super Cubs as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the Copper River O-320 STC for my 1950 PA20. Then purchased Lycon's 150 to 160 hp STC for the wide deck. Comes with a data plate that is larger than the original data plate..it goes under the original...the original is modified per Lycon instruction and re-installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies! I am on a quest with no real easy answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    It looks like Wag Aero has one....STC SA847EA. I looked on the FAA website for details, but couldn't find any, you'll have to give wag aero a call.
    Forest, thank you for the reference. I believe that I am using the WagAero STC for the 150 upgrade, but not sure that it covers the 160. I'll look again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I do not know of an STC that covers the 160 hp. I would obtain a field approval which can be issued since you are not increasing the horsepower over 10%. It is also a pretty common modification on Super Cubs as well.
    Steve, this was my plan B. Alaska still has a group (used to be FSDO but not sure what they are called now; Same individuals in Juneau however) that are reviewing and addressing requests for FA's. So there is still hope. I know some areas are really struggling with FA's.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I purchased the Copper River O-320 STC for my 1950 PA20. Then purchased Lycon's 150 to 160 hp STC for the wide deck. Comes with a data plate that is larger than the original data plate..it goes under the original...the original is modified per Lycon instruction and re-installed.
    Mark, I looked at that one also. In this case however my assumption is that the LyCon STC only applies to the engine and not the airframe. Please correct my assumptions.
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Engine only..to covert A2B to a B2B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk