Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Information overload! Upgrade to 160 hp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Information overload! Upgrade to 160 hp?

Quote Originally Posted by 28a View Post
    I agree with all of the above. I had the tach red line changed from 2600 to 2700. Airspeed markings did not change. The original PA-22-160's had higher speed ranges on the TC. Maneuvering speed (106 for 135 hp vs. 112 for PA-22 160) is the only one that I had to pay much attention to in rough air. I had the 135 prop overhauled and changed from 135 cruise pitch of 57" to 58". The 25 hp increase gave the old plane a whole different fun personality. I would be delighted to have to pull the throttle back to stay in the green arc in cruise but that didn't happen. I hope it gets closer with the tail wheel conversion.
    Thank you. I wonder if the airspeed change was due to the 13 rib wing and 2000 pound gross weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    Thank you. Would you mind sharing the 337 or the language? How did you overcome the Part 36 issue? This may not be as much of a factor in Alaska?

I am currently STC'd for 150 and Borer prop, so my static is as you list already, my prop diameter is 82. The fuel will change to 91/96 but who makes that any more? So likely 100LL. An earlier poster indicated that it is possible for MOGAS in 160hp; I'll need to investigate that a bit more.
    I’ll have to dig through my files to find a copy of the 337. One of the ACO engineers in Atlanta did the Part 36 calculations, he has since retired. That Field Approval took about 3 months to get. Should have been a no brainer.

I could do a DER Approval now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 28a View Post
    I agree with all of the above. I had the tach red line changed from 2600 to 2700. Airspeed markings did not change. The original PA-22-160's had higher speed ranges on the TC. Maneuvering speed (106 for 135 hp vs. 112 for PA-22 160) is the only one that I had to pay much attention to in rough air. I had the 135 prop overhauled and changed from 135 cruise pitch of 57" to 58". The 25 hp increase gave the old plane a whole different fun personality. I would be delighted to have to pull the throttle back to stay in the green arc in cruise but that didn't happen. I hope it gets closer with the tail wheel conversion.
    If you started with a PA-22 or PA-22-135, then all the speed and W&B limits of the original flight Manual would remain the same. The one I did was taking a PA-22-150 to 160hp. It’s interesting how the older version of the TCDS had provisions to change a PA-22-160 to a PA-22-150, but never had provisions to go the other way. Those were in the days when 80/87 was available and cheaper than 91/96 or 100/130. Owners would go to a150hp engine to save money on gas. Now, there is no savings so we all want the performance of the higher HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info..

Post Thanks / Like

28a, can you share the service bulletin number on the change from B2A to B2B? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Lycoming service bulletin 258. Check thread http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...e-Bulletin-258 for the copy. I believe the latest PA-22 160 engines were B2B since it is dated May 1959.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that! I am currently dealing with a 53 PA22-135 that had a 160hp installed but was entered "per type certificate" in the logbook... Yeah, too bad it's not! Oh well, I think this was the final piece of the puzzle to get the paperwork sorted out. What a fun journey this has been.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken, I sent you a couple of messages through PM, but I'm not sure if they went through.

You can get an STC at Svenn's that will cover the installation of that engine (320 B2B) in your aircraft....here's a link

http://svennsaviation.com/stcs/o-320...-installation/

Post Thanks / Like

You might also check the stc from wag aero for engine upgrade in early pa22s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    You might also check the stc from wag aero for engine upgrade in early pa22s
    I think this is the way I'm going to go. The Svenn's is three times the cost. It does cover a whole lot more, but if i can use the Wag-Aero why pay more.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk