Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Howdy -- Considering a Tri Pacer, looking for local expertise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Howdy -- Considering a Tri Pacer, looking for local expertise

Steve -- define "precursory work"? As I am in no rush, I intend to have a look at the plane and logs first hand in the coming days. From there, I will pull all data I can (337s, title search, etc) and try and look for discrepancies. After that, pre-buy inspection and squawk remediation, then perhaps I will have a plane. I'm not tied to any plane -- not even to the Pacer, though it's the tip top of my list for sure.

Other advice is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Steve -- define "precursory work"? As I am in no rush, I intend to have a look at the plane and logs first hand in the coming days. From there, I will pull all data I can (337s, title search, etc) and try and look for discrepancies. After that, pre-buy inspection and squawk remediation, then perhaps I will have a plane. I'm not tied to any plane -- not even to the Pacer, though it's the tip top of my list for sure.

Other advice is appreciated
    High reso;ution pictures, records from recover and engine overhaul. I can weed out a lot of airplanes without traveling all over the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve - in my case, the current bird is in my backyard. So the high res pics were taken by me, and the log books reviewed. On to an inspection - may have found a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't like working away from my own hanger unless I can help it so Ido lots of legwrok from my computer if I can. Having been on wild goose chases and wasting time and money I have gotten better at the precursory work.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely - I am a staunch researcher... so the more I can get the better. But I also don’t mind a little trip if it’s in my backyard.

Logs be of my current target indicate a restoration in 91 - frame cleaned, internally oiled and sealed, and epoxy painted. Recovered and repainted in Stitts poly at the time. Has about 900 hrs on it since. Appears all ADs we’re complied with, and condition is pretty good. I’m a little scared of the age of the fabric, appears in good condition and has been hangared since. I wouldnt mind a project in a few years; looking for a few hundred hours of service before that. Getting a prebuy inspection done. It flies very well. Was very impressed with the plane. I want one now.

So, should I be scared of this candidate? Not in the too good to be true range. Price seems right...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

...... internally oiled and sealed,...

I doubt that's possible. When the frame was originally built all the tube joints would have needed to have been drilled internally for the oil to flow between tubes. Doesn't mean you're not looking at a great plane, just mentioning a point.

Post Thanks / Like

Well - same thought. Logs mention, “Installed new lenseed oil inside of steel tubing and re-sealed tubing”. So pros, what should I make of that?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

When I made fuselage tubing repairs on mine I was able to fill and then drain the bottom longerons all the way forward from the tail post. What they meant by writing that is open for interpretation, probably not something to worry over. They may have made some repairs, and oiled what they could on the way out.

Also, as for the fabric, it rarely goes bad with just years. The structure deteriorating will cause more fabric to be replaced than fabric rot.
    Last edited by Jim; 11-26-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All,

Thank you so much for the advice and conversation. Pre-buy inspection is complete, and the A&P used the terms pristine and beautiful, especially given the age. Logs are extensive and in good order and all ADs complied with. Just need to have the transponder re-certified/inspected and she'll be ready to go.

Unless there is a significant event, in the next couple of weeks my family and I will join your ranks as Short Wing Owners, hopefully for many years. And hopefully I'll get the opportunity to meet some of you down the line.

- J "Crash" Crawford

Post Thanks / Like

Great news! Glad to hear that you have found the right plane. You will enjoy it for sure. Just remember....Without photos, it didn't happen! So, post up some photos once you get it home.