Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new project!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible new project!

Hi all,
    im new to this forum and have a few questions. Im not overly experienced with these aircraft though i have done annuals and repairs for a friend with a pa-22 in the past.
    I'm located in canada and have my AME M1/M2 (full rating for you yanks!)

I have the opportunity to pick up a basket case PA22/20 project (cheap) and looking for insight on how to go about it, or whether or not its worth it. The aircraft had a mishap some time ago and is missing the original wings and engine, but does come with a paperless o-320 (rolls eyes). the hydrasorb mounts/seat rail are badly broken, and the rear tail tubing bent, so not sure what else has been twisted, however there is another bare frame that looks to be in decent shape with no real damage to speak of.
    the bent airframe is listed and registered as a 1955 pa-22-150, even though it is in tailwheel config. also has the round right rear window.

The spare fuselage has the round window as well, but appears to be an original pa-20 fuselage. not sure if there are papers and a data plate for that one yet...

Anyways, is there a way to tell which year/model the frames were delivered as? is there a stamp anywhere on the tube frame to help?

worst case i guess it could go experimental, but would prefer to build certified.

I don't currently own this, just something Im looking at.

thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible new project!

where are you located in Canada?

Post Thanks / Like

BUY a flying NICE Plane it will be cheaper in the long run. If it were FREE you will still come out better and you will also have something to fly for 3-4 years
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 11-12-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    BUY a flying NICE Plane it will be cheaper in the long run. If it were FREE you will still come out better and you will also have something to fly for 3-4 years
    Pretty much. I’m located in Yellowknife NWT. Pretty well nothing here for small aircraft. I’ve had an eye out for around 5 years for something and still nothing, well at least nothing worth looking in to

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I seem to remember a tag with a number welded to a tube somewhere around under the passenger seat. Knowing the number will make guessing at a vintage more accurate. There's a lot of sense in what the other Jim wrote above, but there's also those that just want a project to play with. Building from baskets will certainly make you familiar with your plane, also knowledge worth having. If the parts you're contemplating buying don't turn into a flyer, they are probably worth more as parts to other peoples projects than you'll have in them, at least initially. If these basket case planes aren't re-assembled, it's another short wing dead forever. Most all of us have way more in our planes could ever bring with a sale, but we're still enjoying them regardless. Are you looking for a hobby?

Post Thanks / Like

Serial # will be on a tag at the top of the windshield. Left side corner. Just left of the trim crank attach fittings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    Yup! Jim is right. But,

Years ago bought a basket case PA 22, figuring that spending $500 here and there is what I could afford. Ultimately, it worked out. While, I doubt this works for most. Keeping the dream alive is important. You know what you can afford. When I could not afford an airplane, I was happy to have chunks and pieces around for me to keep my dream alive.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Early frames have the frame number which is close to the serial number under the front seat, newer frames in the overhead near the trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

I seem to remember a tag with a number welded to a tube somewhere around under the passenger seat. Knowing the number will make guessing at a vintage more accurate. There's a lot of sense in what the other Jim wrote above, but there's also those that just want a project to play with. Building from baskets will certainly make you familiar with your plane, also knowledge worth having. If the parts you're contemplating buying don't turn into a flyer, they are probably worth more as parts to other peoples projects than you'll have in them, at least initially. If these basket case planes aren't re-assembled, it's another short wing dead forever. Most all of us have way more in our planes could ever bring with a sale, but we're still enjoying them regardless. Are you looking for a hobby?
    Im looking for a plane to build up to ultimately finish off my pilot license. I could likely find one flying, but would prefer to bring one back from the dead so to speak. The real downside is I'm 14 hours drive from any real major city so very limited in choices unless i drag a machine up here. I have been involved in bringing much larger and far more complex aircraft back from the dead so know what I'm getting in to. Just trying to find out what all is there before i decide. I know there are a ton of very valuable parts there to someone building one of these, but no market for them without transport expense...

The downside is they took welding out of the scope of the AME license here, so is supposed to be done by a specialized AMO for structural welding on certified aircraft.

Post Thanks / Like

Well good news on my side. My career has finally brought me back to southern Canada where doing this kind of stuff is much easier.
    i also have found a 1950 pacer project (yes a real pacer!) that is complete with paperwork and many upgrades already completed (still has the O290, but at least it seems solid with new jugs). Word of mouth brought me to a friend Ive known for a few years and we worked out a deal.
    so I’ll likely have a ton of questions on the way to getting this old girl back in the air. Here’s a few for now:

-What is the easiest way to get stuck stabilizers off?
    -are there any dual brake pedal kits that don’t involve modifying the structure? This plane has the Cleveland double piston brakes.
    -what is involved in building the stewart wing tips?