Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new project!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible new project!

You may have the master cylinder mount brackets on the right side...bit of a chore to add them. And the slave cylinders aren’t easy to find...I may have a decent picture of the assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wbaad View Post
    Well good news on my side. My career has finally brought me back to southern Canada where doing this kind of stuff is much easier.
    i also have found a 1950 pacer project (yes a real pacer!) that is complete with paperwork and many upgrades already completed (still has the O290, but at least it seems solid with new jugs). Word of mouth brought me to a friend Ive known for a few years and we worked out a deal.
    so I’ll likely have a ton of questions on the way to getting this old girl back in the air. Here’s a few for now:

-What is the easiest way to get stuck stabilizers off?
    -are there any dual brake pedal kits that don’t involve modifying the structure? This plane has the Cleveland double piston brakes.
    -what is involved in building the stewart wing tips?
    I went though this on my Clipper and decided to leave the left brakes and not add them to the right. I learned to fly in the airplane and the only time the brakes are needed is to stop at the fuel pump. As far as the wing tips if I had a stock PA20 I would leave them alone. They might add a bit more lift but not worth the effort or the looks in my opinion. Here is some info on freeing up stuck stabilizers. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...riz-Stabilizer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I went though this on my Clipper and decided to leave the left brakes and not add them to the right. I learned to fly in the airplane and the only time the brakes are needed is to stop at the fuel pump. As far as the wing tips if I had a stock PA20 I would leave them alone. They might add a bit more lift but not worth the effort or the looks in my opinion. Here is some info on freeing up stuck stabilizers. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...riz-Stabilizer
    thanks for the info. only reason i want dual brakes is because i want to finish my flight training in this, and may have a problem getting the instructor to trust me... but i suppose i could start out on the right to get them confident. Ill have a look next time im at the machine to see if the mounts are there.

The wing tips are currently droop tips, so when the time comes to redo the wings I'm tempted to replace them with the stewarts if it is worthwhile. I may fly the machine with the wings as they are before taking them down to determine my preference, if the wings are in good condition. I will have to determine that.

The reason the aircraft is not currently airworthy is corrosion in the rear longeron, so i will likely repair that and tackle the fuselage/tail feathers before tearing the wing down. depends on progress and season.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible new project!

Here's an image of the dual toe brake assembly on a 1950 Pacer. SN 74-120 using Grove wheels, master cylinders and brakes. It's now sporting the AB 199-62A wheels and dual piston calipers.
    Last edited by mmoyle; 02-11-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. only reason i want dual brakes is because i want to finish my flight training in this, and may have a problem getting the instructor to trust me... but i suppose i could start out on the right to get them confident. Ill have a look next time im at the machine to see if the mounts are there.

The wing tips are currently droop tips, so when the time comes to redo the wings I'm tempted to replace them with the stewarts if it is worthwhile. I may fly the machine with the wings as they are before taking them down to determine my preference, if the wings are in good condition. I will have to determine that.

The reason the aircraft is not currently airworthy is corrosion in the rear longeron, so i will likely repair that and tackle the fuselage/tail feathers before tearing the wing down. depends on progress and season.
    I agree with Steve on stock wing tips, they look the best. If you really want increased lift check out Sullivan tips.

Stock tips with VG's work very well. Never redo the wing fabric unless you really need too or you love to do the work. Changing a wing tip does not require redoing the whole wing.

0290, you can install any wooden propeller......That includes Catto. This will out perform most 0320's.
    Last edited by Stephen; 02-11-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I agree with Steve on stock wing tips, they look the best. If you really want increased lift check out Sullivan tips.

Stock tips with VG's work very well. Never redo the wing fabric unless you really need too or you love to do the work. Changing a wing tip does not require redoing the whole wing.

0290, you can install any wooden propeller......That includes Catto. This will out perform most 0320's.
    i would prefer the look of stock tips, but there are currently droop tips installed that aren't the prettiest install. i do plan on letting sleeping dogs lie if they are in serviceable condition.

I was wondering about the prop list in the TCDS. so you can use "any" wood prop rated for HP and specs listed? even if its not "certified"?
    Last edited by wbaad; 02-11-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i would prefer the look of stock tips, but there are currently droop tips installed that aren't the prettiest install. i do plan on letting sleeping dogs lie if they are in serviceable condition.

I was wondering about the prop list in the TCDS. so you can use "any" wood prop rated for HP and specs listed? even if its not "certified"?
    Check your TC it says "any wooden prop". My IA signs off a Catto based on that language. I lost bet on this topic and had to pay off with a bottle of bourbon.

I have dropped tips and they work well.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I will preface this by saying I don't have the broad experience that others here do. However we have the drooped tips and have been very happy with them. I've heard some people without droop tips talk about loosing aileron authority at low speeds. We've never had that problem and I would assume that the tips are the reason. Holding the air under the wings. If you're talking simply aesthetics then maybe I get it but they grow on you after a while. Great plane to finish getting your ticket in.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I have factory tips [with VGs on the wings] but I have to tell you...
    every pilot I know who flew shortwings with droop tips LOVE them!
    They tell me all the time, I need to change the wing tips to trap more lift.
    And who doesn't want more lift?!?!

If it were me, and if I were changing tips, I would either replace droop tips with stewarts or sullivan but I just
    don't like the look or poke of droop tips. If you can, fly it and see what you like.

AL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I have factory tips [with VGs on the wings] but I have to tell you...
    every pilot I know who flew shortwings with droop tips LOVE them!
    They tell me all the time, I need to change the wing tips to trap more lift.
    And who doesn't want more lift?!?!

If it were me, and if I were changing tips, I would either replace droop tips with stewarts or sullivan but I just
    don't like the look or poke of droop tips. If you can, fly it and see what you like.

AL
    That's the plan as of now. Redo the fuselage up and fly the wings as-is if serviceable. Next step is to decide what covering system to use. I am interested in the stewart system, but have heard and read horror stories of fuel damaging the glue, and paint problems. plane will likely live outside as well so that is a concern... I only want to do this once and make it last!

Funny thing is after moving down here, i managed to buy an airplane before a house... priorities!
    Last edited by wbaad; 02-12-2018 at 08:18 PM.