Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Possible new project!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible new project!

I pulled off the front door frame metal and there is zero corrosion. Only issue is the last guy to do it really mangled the frame so a new one is on its way. Also someone got carried away and drilled into the tubing... so more repairing to do there. But pretty minor in the grand sceme. New gear birdcage built and installed. Ailerons ,rudder and one stab covered thru Stewart silver. One elevator and stab painted and on the bench to be covered, fuselage about 90% stripped and base primed. Awaiting the small repairs then I can shoot some epoxy on it. Now to evaluate the trimmer fuel stc and see if it’s worth it. I have to re make the plumbing anyways so might be the time. Also likely going to go with the hawker sealed battery to eliminate acid in the belly and save weight! I’m going to be saving at least 5 lbs with that old 2” of paint off the tubes

almost seems like it will fly again!

Post Thanks / Like

If Trimmers fuel mod eliminates the right fuel tank restriction I highly recommend you do it.
    I know of several Shortwings that have come down on take-off with disastrous results because the pilot did not adhere to the restriction. Probably forgot. ��

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah....can be a rude awakening. We did that...once in Medicine Hat... nice long runway...turned into a non-event! Always always pay attention to the take off check list prior every single take off.

Lesson in point...not a Pacer but a Cessna 208. Great big Russian pilot for Arctic Circle Air was always in a hurry. This guy would have the prop spinning before the door was shut.. this one time.. jumped in..valve on left fuel tank. Didnít keep the ball centered during a steep left turn just after takeoff out of Bethel. Engine starved for fuel...impacted the ground...severely injured the right seat passenger when a snow machine came loose squishing him against the instrument panel. He has an excuse for drain bramage...I donít...

Installing Trimmers fuel system gives you the option of drawing fuel from both tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    If Trimmers fuel mod eliminates the right fuel tank restriction I highly recommend you do it.
    I know of several Shortwings that have come down on take-off with disastrous results because the pilot did not adhere to the restriction. Probably forgot. ��
    We lost a good Tpacer doing a go around, due to incorrect fuel valve placement, Trimmer's STC would have prevented this. This and Steve's gascolator are two of the best mods that improve our planes safety.
    Last edited by Stephen; 12-29-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Not much reason to not do the fuel mod at this point. It all needs new tubing and an fittings anyways. Already have Steve’s firewall gascolator be good to turf the other!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a good source for the correct cockpit door piano hinge??

Post Thanks / Like

Even univair doesnít seem to know what the most correct door hinge is...

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it in 8 foot pieces from H.A. Guden Co. Inc. 800-3-HINGES - just use the spec code: MS3582213D (MS-35822-13D-72.00) the same price from Univair however you get 5 times the length. You can order a certain length as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i replaced the steel piano hinge with a hinge like the rear door. Way better closing and sealing. That is how Maule did it when he reverse engineered the Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    i replaced the steel piano hinge with a hinge like the rear door. Way better closing and sealing. That is how Maule did it when he reverse engineered the Pacer.
    Steve you wouldnít happen to have a picture of what you did?
    Thank you Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app