Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA Data Base Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default FAA Data Base Question

I have a 1951 PA-20, N7754K S/N 20- 582. The FAA data base lists the year of manufacture as 1953. Also it lists the engine Manufacturer as AMA/EXPR and the Model as Unknown. It lists the Airworthiness Date as 8/5/53

I have copies of the Application for Airworthiness and/or Annual Inspection of an Aircraft from the date of manufacture, 2-51, up through 1956 when the CAA no longer issued a new Airworthiness Certificate every year. The forms show the engine as a Lycoming 0 290D S/N 691-21. This is the engine that is still in the Aircraft.

To summarize, Date of Manufacture 2/51, Airworthiness issued each year until 1956. Data on the forms matches for each year. The Airworthiness Cert for 1953 was issued on 1/29/53, not 8/5/53.

A new Certificate of Registration was issued on 8/5/1953. I think this is where the Data Base somehow got screwed up.

My question to the Group, has anyone run into this situation and do you think it is worth fixing. I hate going to the FSDO and opening up a potential can of worms if I don't have to.

Thanks,
    NJ Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FAA Data Base Question

Quote Originally Posted by new jersey dave View Post
    I have a 1951 PA-20, N7754K S/N 20- 582. The FAA data base lists the year of manufacture as 1953. Also it lists the engine Manufacturer as AMA/EXPR and the Model as Unknown. It lists the Airworthiness Date as 8/5/53

I have copies of the Application for Airworthiness and/or Annual Inspection of an Aircraft from the date of manufacture, 2-51, up through 1956 when the CAA no longer issued a new Airworthiness Certificate every year. The forms show the engine as a Lycoming 0 290D S/N 691-21. This is the engine that is still in the Aircraft.

To summarize, Date of Manufacture 2/51, Airworthiness issued each year until 1956. Data on the forms matches for each year. The Airworthiness Cert for 1953 was issued on 1/29/53, not 8/5/53.

A new Certificate of Registration was issued on 8/5/1953. I think this is where the Data Base somehow got screwed up.

My question to the Group, has anyone run into this situation and do you think it is worth fixing. I hate going to the FSDO and opening up a potential can of worms if I don't have to.

Thanks,
    NJ Dave
    Lots of stuff is screwed up in the registration data base. The FSDO can’t help fix it, as a totally different office maintains the data base. You could write to AFS-750 (the registration branch) in Oklahoma City and request that they correct it, but I doubt that it will be a high priority. As long as your N#, serial # and registration dates are correct, that’s all they worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

See if they'll give you a AMA/EXP Airworthiness Certificate. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you have the records from the FAA? Sounds like someone put it in another category in 1953. Most of our airplanes have airworthiness certificates from 1955-56 when the FAA took over from the CAA and started the Inspectors authorization program and got away from the CAA reissueing AW every year.

Post Thanks / Like

The FAA Data Base lists the Airworthiness Certificate as Standard, Category Normal.
    The engine is what is listed as AMA/EXP, Model Unknown.
    The permanent Airworthiness Certificate was issued 7/30/56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you have the records from the FAA? They might shed some light.

Post Thanks / Like

I have CAA/FAA records from date of manufacture, 2/51. thru 1956 when permanent C of A was issued. First post has more detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you have the paper copies that were with your logbooks or the records that the FAA has on file in their database? I was hoping the records the FAA has might shed light on the engine mystery.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that about 60% of the “Airworthiness” data in the AFS750 data base file is incorrect. The only thing they care about is the “registration” data. Even there, the year for a great majority of airplanes is incorrect or missing. Don’t worry about it as long as the actual data in the Airworthiness and registration files are correct. If you don’t have a copy of them, you can get a CD with them for about $10 from AFS750. Oh yeah, there are no paper copies with the FAA anymore. Once they scan the original, they destroy it. All the active records were scanned about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply's.
    I have the records that are on file with the FAA in their Data Base. Everything is on the FAA CD.